1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Go Figure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kingriver, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

One of our pieces of snow removal equipment is a 1990 Chevy Silverado 1 ton 454 v-gas gusler, I have a Western MVP on front-and a Hi-Way 2 yrd sander aft. My question is this, do you guys charge this as 3 pieces of equipment--ie==truck-plow-sander==or as one ? Some type of breakdown would be great !!And what about the driver, tech., is he considered a piece of _________, so how would you charge for this ?? Currently I figure it at around 100 - 125 an hour, does not include any material in hopper.....have been here for several years now and it seems things are going down hill--to many low-ballers trying to make their truck payments and wanting to write off all the fuel, payments, to IRS>
  2. genrock

genrock Member

I would suggest you go to your city council and try to get them a ordnance passed that only allows licensed drivers to plow commerical lots. Before getting a permit they would have you show them 1.Drivers License 2.Insurance for plowing 3.Yearly vehicle safety inspections 4. Drivers course to be done at city hall ie cones etc.

This would stop alot of your local scrap dealers from strapping on a piece of metal to there bumper and running around stealing jobs from contractors.
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Holy Cow...:yow!:

America was built on the idea of freedom. Once you have the DOT doing a yearly safety inspection on every piece of equipment you own, tell me how you like it when they say your plow is too rusty to be used commercially and you have to go spend $4000 on a new one or that your tires are 1/64th of and inch too far gone and your truck gets pulled off the road. They are failing vehicles for state inspection here in new Jersey because they have minor body rust on them.

America was built on the idea of freedom. Freedom of competition. If a guy give a lower price than you, inform your customers of your proven track record and customer satisfaction rate. Tell them that your service and dependability can't be beat and they shouldn't shop "price" alone. Win them back with service, dependability and quality of the finished job.

Tell the homeowners in your town that thier taxes are going up so that the town can hire extra employee's to give all of these drivers courses, equipment inspections, and permits and see what they say. If you are a homeowner, would you like a tax increase for something like that? A tax increase for Police and Fire Department improvement maybe (you should be OK with that being a C/O)...but a tax increase for snow removal equipment inspection...NOT!

C'mon, keep the government out of it...they make enough money!!! payup
  4. Mshak4885

Mshak4885 Junior Member

commercial pricing

how do i price a seasonal rate for a commercial plwoing lot... i told the people 1300 per strom up to 4" , 400 extra per 3" and 175 to sand.. they want a seasonal rate ... how do i determine this?
  5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

you have to know average number of snowfalls and average amount of snow per year... then it's simple math... that's how i do it anyway
  6. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Wheres a good place to find the snow stats some of you people are talking about.?? I'd be interested in Maine's . Thank you
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks alot Mick, just added it to my favorites list. , Doug
  9. genrock

genrock Member

Normally I wouldnt see involving the government in anything and yes I know how they like to control most of us with there regulations. I dont however think taxes would go up for such a ordnance. The permit cost alone would more then likely cover such a thing. I dont think they would require you to buy a new plow cause its rusty either. What they would probably be concerned with is overall structural integrity issues. I would hate to see some guy in a 76 dodge flying down the free way and his mount come lose sending the plow through a car load of kids. I had my car ripped right down the side one season by an uninsured driver doing a local grocery store to top it all off he was driving and plowing on a suspended license. I was none to happy with this situation but what could I do but watch my rates go up cause of some yahoo who was trying to make a little extra beer money. Permits would have to be monitored and wrote up very carefully ofcourse especially with the city government at the helm.
  10. little pat

little pat Member

Genrock, I would have to agree with you as far as some regulation is concerned. There are far too many lowballers without insurance out there killing the industry. As far as "freedom" is concerned, regulation is what keeps us safe. Without it anybody could drive a car or truck, buy a weapon, or sell a product that is unsafe. Deregulation is what kills industries, look at the trucking, steel, airline, and automotive industries for just a few examples. At one time all were regulated and had great paying jobs now they are in shambles. I don't want to see more government but sometimes it's a necessity.
  11. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I agree with NJ plowman. We have enough regulations and governoment involvement in our lives, we don't need more. As far as a plow driver hitting a car full of kids? Sh*t happens. You can't prevent ever accident. What about if a guy in a new truck and new plow rams t bones someone going through a redlight? Things happen, that's what insurance is for. Leave the government out of it.
  12. genrock

genrock Member

I would like to leave the government out of every situation but If I decide I want to get out of said wrecked car and put a crowbar through his head then the government would come after me. Face it the government has the power over both good and evil and eye for an eye is no longer the answer cause they wont let it be the answer.