1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMPP To buy or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

..that is the question. my truck is approaching 36k and I'm thinking of buying the top Major Guard plan. Anyone have it? Thoughts? I could buy it and have total truck protection until 96k, it would cost me 2,900.00. Is it worth it? The cost of a trans alone would probably run 2k, water pump 2-300, fuel pump 4-500, what do you guys think? This plan even covers ball joints!!!

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I say yes if you're gonna keep the truck. My rule of thumb is that the warrany shoud be as long as the term of the note on the vehicle... And unfortunately GM's 3/36 is a bit too short.

3. Yes

I saw yes too, I think that I am going to do it on my 03 also....Heres why I saw yes....I the last year my 99 (with less than 100,000 miles) has needed these things...... Front ball joints <$500 Tranny, including new pump $2800 Intake maifold gasket $1000 Some steering knuckes and stuff $350 Rear brake pushers and springs and ..... you get the point $850

Add that up and it equals over 5,000. I would do it! Plow trucks get beat, there no doubt about it, if your keeping the truck I would do it!

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Anthony, I'd really read the small print and make sure there's nothing against plowing, which I assume you've already done (since you're a smart dude). Given the problem that you have right now I'd think it'd be a wise move to buy the plan.

By the way, what did the frame shop say?

Buck

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HEY BAD......................

For the BEST price on a GMPP warranty check out http://www.gmoutlet.com
    aka Black Chev/Pont.........Located in Pa.

Forget going to a local dealer.................

Don't forget to mention you do snowplowing. It is a $250 upcharge !
    BUT they will still be a LOT cheaper than a local dealer plus NO sales tax!
    GMPP major guard covers EVERYTHING....Even a rent a car....NO fine print !

If your gonna keep it and plow your gonna BREAK parts.............

A new tranny is $2500...........a new transfer case is $2000
    Break that truck 1 time and it will pay for itself !
    I been there and done that........Thats why I dump the truck every 3rd
    spring before the warranty runs out and get a new one!............geo:cry:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck/geo - Thanks guys! The blade is coming off after this winter, I'm in the market for a plow only vehicle now. I plan on keeping the truck for some time.

Buck - The frame is straight. It took an alignment, the guys at the frame shop are telling me my "eyes are playing tricks" on me, "it's a truck, it's made by GM, stop worry about all these little things."

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BAD..............Your NOT gonna plow with this truck any more ?
    Then forget the ext. warranty..........................

My Caddies I keep 4-5 years and at least 100k miles. I never
    worry about breaking $pendy parts because I am not beating
    it towing or plowing with it. Maybe a set of brakes, tires, prob.
    will have to replace a battery or have the AC serviced............
    So IMO a ex-warranty is NOT worth it.

A plow only dedicated beater is begging $$$$ for repairs.................
    At least with your 04 you KNOW what you have to work with
    and a extended warranty to back you up !...........geo

8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If i was going to keep my truck I would get the extended warranty, because these new trucks are not made for the driveway mechanic to work on. I'm only going to have my truck for 4 years at the most. This is the best time to trade. But yea I would def. get the extended warranty for piece of mind, we have rule that we will always have 1 "Road worthy" vehical in our household, meaning for long emergency trips, and weekend get aways. I would feel much better if GM had me coverd a few years down the road. A tranny can go at anytime 75,000 miles or 275,000 miles, esp. since you have a couple plowing seasons on the truck.

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Good advice sonjaab!

That's good advice George - I don't keep any work truck long enough for the warranty to run out either.

10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Anthony,
    If you're going to get a dedicated plow truck then I would think twice about the extended warranty. Mine is a 2000 and I now have 108,600 miles on it (knock on wood) and haven't had an ounce of trouble. However each and every truck is different, some have problems some don't, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Glad to hear the frame is straight...but the eyes are playing tricks??? Wow, tricked a lot of folks here, I still say there's an arc to that baby. Maybe it's just coiling itself up and getting ready for the holeshot just like "Speed Buggy" used to do! :D

Buck

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Re: The Pic. I printed it and showed it to the guys at the frame joint and they said it looks like the picture is exaggerating the dimensions of the truck. If you are to look at the truck dead on from your knees, so the top of the bed is at eye level it looks bowed. If you stand up and look at it everthing is lined up. :dizzy: Anyway, frame's straight, it drives straight, I'm happy.

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Good, that's all that matters! Glad all is well.

Buck

13. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Buy it. Got it for all of my trucks and it pays dividends everytime. Not to mention the piece of mind.