1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMCs tow hooks and ultramounts

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Oct 15, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 04 GMC 2500hd, thinking about getting a western. Would my tow hooks have to come off to rig up a ultramount to my truck?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Western does tell you to permanently remove the hooks for an Ultramount install but with some grinding and fabrication, they can be reinstalled if they're really needed.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

damn that sucks. I want my tow hooks, I use them.

4. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

They took them off my truck when the put the plow on. Same thing but a Chevy. Sorry

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I was the same way, I have to have my tow hooks on my truck. I have my tow hooks on my unimount frame, and I put the Ultramount shoes on my buddies truck last season. Both were just like B&B said, you can do it. Western dosn't recommend it or give you the correct hardware to do it... but, with a gas wrench on my unimount and a unibit and a grinder on my buddies truck it was done. I just put a unimount bracket on another truck today and it is soooooo much easier to just use the correct hardware.

6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Mount the hooks in the back.

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

its nice to have hooks in the front

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have a large link and pin I can slip into the mounting holes when the plow is not on. Otherwise, if the plow is on I'd use the 3" strap and attach under the plow to the main plow beam. It's an extra step but, it will work. ( and yes, I've had to use the front hooks to pull before ).