1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc with factory timbrens?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Onebadbowtie86, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Hey guys, after installing my plow on my 03 gmc regular cab shortbox this weekend i noticed something under there...... i cranked my torsion bars up and noticed that had big rubber bump stops on my frame that are almost touching my lower control arms even with the bars cranked almost all the way up. are these timbrens? my truck didnt have a plow on it before and i bougth it from the original owner. the truck also has protective black fabric looking boots over top of the cv shafts??? anyone ever see this stuff before? maybee the truck has a plow prep package or something? it has the trailering package and the off road package for what its worth... ill get some pics under there tomorrow...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's likely that what your seeing is the stock jounce bumpers. Which normally are in direct contact with the control arm at normal ride height. Of course being a used truck someone one the past many have installed a set of Timbrens somewhere in the trucks previous life but on the front it's not as likely.

Timbrens are easily distinguishable from the OEM jounce bumpers by their shape and color. The Timbrens will be black with a round shape. The OEM jounce bumpers will be oblong shaped with an extra riser on them...and they will also be yellow if you wipe them off. :D

Your truck is highly unlikely to have a plow prep package since it's a 1/2 ton Z71 short bed standard cab. so be sure to add the plow prep optioned fan clutch along with your plow install.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Onebad
    I worked at the GM Truck plant in Pontiac MI for the better part of 20 years. They do not offer Timbrens as a option. If they are yellow as B&B said then they are a stock factory bumper. Most of the time they look black after they leave the factory and get dirty.

Regards Mike