1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Feb 6, 2006.

1. i have a 99 gmc 2500 old body stlye with 5.7 wondering what kind of transmission is in these trucks.

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Your truck is going to have the 4L80E. It is basically a Turbo 400 with overdrive.

William

3. thanks thought thats what it was just wonted to make sure

4. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I thought the 4L80E were in the 2000 and up. Shouldn't it be a 700R4?

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

No the 700R4 were replaced in 88 with the body change I believe. Don't quote me on that.

William

6. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

700r4 was replaced in 93 by the 4L60E for vehicles under 8500 gvw. in 91, the 4L80E was first available on the heavy duty models. if your 2500 is under 8500 gvw then you have the 4L60E, otherwise you have the 4L80E. the 4L60E can be identified by a square shaped transmission pan. the 4L80E pan is more of a rectangular shape with 2 of the corners having a rounded shape to them. almost like a D that has been stretched.