1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC tranny guage question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PTTP08, Dec 14, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a 98 gmc 3/4 ton. I added a extra 2quart pan and a gauge on the pillar. But while I am plowing it will jump up to 240 and sit there for a second and jump back down to 160. it seems real erratic. After I'm done plowing it calms down and sits around the normal 160. faulty gauge? pan slosh from the fluid? bad ground? open to idea's

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Check the place where you put the sending unit with a laser temp gun when it is showing 240 and see if it really is.
    I had a autometer temp gauge that had the wrong sending unit installed. I would go up really fast.

3. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

Where do i find one of these extra capacity pans?

Joe

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Summit racing .com I bought a tci pan complete kit I buy this for all my trucks

5. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

If its an electric guage (I would guess it is) check the connection at the sensor. If they get corroded, that can cause erratic guage movement, improper readings, etc. Is it an aftermarket guage?

6. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Yes its a b&m one
    And its electric as well buts it only like 6month

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

In MN 6 months is about the life span on any sensor under the truck. Clean it up with some CRC electro-motive cleaner, then pack the connector with dialectric grease.

8. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I will do that