1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC Topkick

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluemountain, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bluemountain

bluemountain Junior Member
    from Joliet

We have been looking at used dump trucks lately. Came across a 1994 GMC Topkick. Well priced, no rust issues or any other known problems. Was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on it. Thanks
  2. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Here's mine in the background. Only pic I have of it.

Well, mine and my father's. He bought it new back in '94 an it's got about 65,000 miles on her. I just plan on using it to haul snow away if the need arises, but I bet she'd handle a plow pretty well also. I might throw a sander in the back next season... Apparently the town pays based on weight, so $$.

Easy to drive, I think. Been hauling loads for my dad since I was 17 or so. Gas mileage, though... Not sure exactly what it gets, but it's not good...

Found another pic:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I company I used to work for had a few Topkicks with Cat diesels, allison autos, air brakes. All had plows and under tailgate salters. I felt the were under powered when loaded or towing a tractor compared to the Ford L8000s or Internationals they had.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Topkicks are good trucks but, they are all under powered from what I have scene. They make a really good plow truck though.
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

We have an 03 6500 automatic. Yes its underpowered at 210hp but it works pretty hard. Its got a 10' dump bed on it. We don't use it for snow as we haven't needed it yet. It has excellent turning radius, much better than our pickups.
  6. Mattguy

Mattguy Junior Member

I don't know what I'd do without my 4500 topkick. Bought new in 06. Truck is great for big lots or doing roads. Really stinks that gm axe'd there medium duty trucks in 09. Its been a great salt truck, and the turning radius is excellent.