1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc stiff steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by miketturbo, Jan 31, 2009.

1. miketturbo

miketturbo Junior Member

Does anyonh have this issue,my 96 2500 pickup 6.5 diesel its hard to turn the wheel with the blade on in the up position,feels like no power steering.once i start to roll its ok.

2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

02 2500hd 8.1 and 95 2500 5.7 both are like that. i think its just alot of weight on the wheels with the plow up.

3. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Pretty common thing to happen. Mine does it a little if I'm on dry pavement at a dead stop trying to turn the wheel. Get rolling a little first, then start your turn. I'm pretty sure you have hydraulic power assist steering so that fluid needs to be moving to relieve the stiff feeling in the wheel.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I am not sure how safe it is but I took my tires for 35 to 40PSI and try to roll when I am turning and it helps alot.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Different generation of truck but the prognosis is the same. Recent thread

6. miketturbo

miketturbo Junior Member

thnx guys,i'l try the lucas additive.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not Lucas...Lubegard. Makes a difference... :waving:

8. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

My 2000 GMC 2500, 6.0 is a tough steer till I get rolling and I added a back drag blade which adds more weight.

9. m.williams

m.williams Member

yea when you add 600+ pounds to the front end of your vehicle of course its gonna be harder, imagine having someone on the handlebars of your bycicle isnt it 100xs harder to turn.