1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc starter recomendation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mipajaja, Apr 19, 2003.

1. mipajaja

mipajaja Junior Member

I have a 1981 gmc c3500,454,automatic,w/headers.motor is hard to turnover when hot.any recomendations for brands of starters or thoughts on competition mini starters?
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

mini starter for sure. Little pricey off the start about $150.00. They can be found cheaper in circle track magazine. I have had one in my 90' for 5 yrs. now with 0 problems. Just make sure and check the timing in that old goat.:)
  3. tileman

tileman Member

You may also want to install new battery cables when you install the new starter. If you don't you will waste a new starter, the starter will pull between 9 and 11 volts you need all of it to make the starter turn and fire. Make sure you have good clean conections on the batter as well.

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

before you blame the starter, check the timing, and see if the engine is getting vapor locked.

other than that, a good high torque starter and a heat shield should be fine.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Like Paul said, make sure you use a heat shield, it will help. Your starter may need to be replaced, but if you do replace it, a heat shield will make it last longer. The heat shield was standard on 70's GM cars and trucks with big block motors.

6. mipajaja

mipajaja Junior Member

thanks to all who replied to my starter inquiry.i installed a rebuilt starter,heat shield,remote solenoid and cables last summer,perhaps the rebuilt starter was a mistake.timing and vapor lock is something i will investigate.thanks again.:waving:
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds like you've addressed the problem pretty well.One other thing that is often overlooked with hot starting problems is the solenoid trigger circuit.The solenoid's draw lots of juice when hot,and old wiring and ignition switches tend to make it worse.Adding a relay to feed the solenoid will help,aong with upgraded wiring from the relay to the starter solenoid.

Another option is to wire it like a Ford.Make a steel jumper,to connect to starter solenoid terminal,to the battery terminal at the starter,and then install a Ford style starter solenoid up near the battery.This is the way I wire all my Chevy trucks.No more hot starting problems.