1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC sierra Front end sagging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC99, Sep 5, 2002.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I just bought a 7.5 foot western Pro for my 1999 GMC sierra 1500 Z71. I bought the truck used, and the plow equipment was already installed(I had everything but the plow). The truck handles the plow fine, but the front end sags pretty bad. Is there anything I can buy to get the front end back up? I do know that the truck came from the factory when it was new with the plow prep package, (trans cooler, heavier duty shocks ETC.) So is there anything else I can do?

THANKS!!

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Please do a search on this subject. I know this subject has been discussed before.
    Let me be the first to say welcome to Plowsite.
    Mark K

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GMC.....Check the sticker in your glovebox
    for code letters VYU that is plow prep pkg.
    If not you do have the Z-71 anyway so
    that gets ya hd susp., extra rad. cooling ,
    extra trans cooling, extra STEEL skid plates,
    etc. As for front end sagging you can
    crank up the torsion bars or go with timbren
    load busters or the monroe brand helpers.
    Heck i have a 2500 that sags too with plow
    on ! Do you have a x-cab ? If so it will NOT
    have plow prep. (GM warranty issues).
    Welcome to plowsite !..Lots of help here
    ...geo

4. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

sonjaab---

sonjaab---Hey thanks for the reply.. I just bought the truck about 4 months ago, it is an extended cab.. When I bought the truck I got a print out of the options that it has... It does have the Z71 package with all the goodies! It's got the heavy duty alternator and battery, the trans cooler, skid plates, and the lower geared rear end, ETC... Like I said when I bought the truck all the plow equipment was already on the truck(except for the plow) and from what I gathered from the dealer, the previous owner used the plow for personal use, not for commercial. How well do the timbrens work? From what I gathered from there website, all I have to do is remove the stock rubber bumbers from the truck, and replace them with the new ones!?!?!?! THANKS for your help!!!!!

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On my Ford, the Timbrens took about twenty minutes per side, the hardest part of the job was pulling the wheel for access. I'm very happy with their performance.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

99.....Cool your already there ! Do a quick search function
    on timbren or monroe lsc (?) helpers. Its been discussed
    and many different opinions on them. Save time
    searching this site. I had a 97 xcab 1500 and it
    didn,t sag as much as my 01 2500. Go figure !
    Good luck and pray for snow EVERYDAY ! after
    the BBQ so we can all make lotsa $$$$$ this winter !
    .....geo

BTW: you prob. only have the 110 amp alternator
    tho. I have had a few die on me ! Make sure if it
    does go with the 130 amp one !

Last edited: Sep 8, 2002