1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC Sierra 2500HD which plow mount...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Frozen001, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I just got my new GMC Sierra and I am looking to put a plow on it. I would like a plow who's mount does not require cutting the air dam on the lower portion of the truck. I have heard that the new western mounts do not require cutting, is this true? Does any one have pictures of these mounts??

Thanks

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

the western ultra mount does not require cutting the air damn. Just make sure the dealer is using a -2 version of the mount.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Thanks for the reply.

Any thought on blade sizes. I got the truck mainly for it's towing capabilities, plowing is seconadary. I was thinking of going with a eithar a 7.5' or 8' pro straight blade. My question is weather the 6 inces of extra blade is worth the extra cost?? I suppose if I were doing a massize parking lot it would save some time, but is there some other benafits that I am not seeing??

4. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

On my 02 Silverado....Both Western and Boss dealers told me that their mounts required chopping up the air dam on my truck. Check out the video on Western's web site, it has a late model Chevy, with notches in their air dam. I think it's more of a height issue because these trucks sit low in the front.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

trust me, have dealer use a 67981-2 mount and no cutting required. the -2 mount came out after gm pushed the bumper out and down just a touch so western redesigned the mount to fit 99-04's regardless of what bumper.

While your at it, make sure they use the isolation module harness, have heard of some dealers still sneaking relay harness' on trucks just to get rid of them.

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

9 FT Fisher

7. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Go with the western I have a 03 Chevy no cutting. Crash is right make sure you get the isolation mod. Had my blade switched over right before the isolation mods came out gotta love it.

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

When I got my Ultra 7/6 in 01 all made had relays. TOO spendy now to change to the iso. modules according to dealer.

No cutting my air dam. I took it off.................

They are installing the same blade on my 04 today!
    This will be its 3rd season with NO problems so far !

My last Western ran 10 HARD seasons and my bud is still using it now!.....geo

9. capital

capital Senior Member

I just picked up a new gmc 2500 hd with a boss 8.2 v blade and they did not have to cut into the air dam. After a thousand miles the dealer said they would adjust the torsion bars and then height should be ok for the blade . Is ok now but want it to sit alittle higher.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I cut thge air dam on my fisher but it realy isnt noticable. The mounts are high and tucked up there so i still have deecent ground clearnance. JMO but buy what you feel is the best plow for you. If astetics are a real concern then yank air dam in the winter or buy a spare when you go to sell it ect.

11. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

On that truck go with an 8' or 8'6" blade. The extra width is more than productivity it keeps your wheels out of the windrows. Especially when plowing curved drives.

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well I decided to go with a Western 8' pro plow. Put the deposit on it today, and I am going to have it installed in the next week or so. Picked it up at a dealer 5 minutes from my house which is really cool if something breaks down. I will get some pictures of it when it is on. Another question for you guys with GMC/Chevy's how much would you guys say is too much for the front end to drop with the plow up?? Just curious, since I am not going to touch the bars until it is on and I can see how much it sags, and if it drops a lot, I most likely will go with timbrens first then adjust the bars if still needed.

13. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I would definitely suggest Timbrens. Before I installed them on my 04 Silverado 1/2 ton, the front end dropped about 1 1/2". Now, it only drops 1/4". The extra support is well worth it. You can always crank up the torsion bars a few turns at any time.
    Good Luck! :drinkup:

14. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I had a 2002 HD2500 and put a Fisher 7.5 Minute Mount on it. The shop did an excellent job and just had to put 2 small notches about 1 3/4 inch deep in the air dam. When I sold the truck and went to re-install the plow on my 2004 GMC, I noticed that the front airdam is all one piece that is painted. I thought "Boy is this gonna look like crap" Sure enough, the shop did an even better job on the 2004. The notches are a lot smaller and you can barely see them.. :redbounce

15. George C

George C Senior Member

I've always been a Ford man, but I bought another truck just to plow with, and I decided to try a Chevy.
    Having said that, I really have no experience with the torsion bar suspension.
    I installed a set of Timbrens right off the bat because I wanted to remove the wobble and roll of an IFS.
    The truck picks up my 8' XBlade and doesn't drop more than an inch.
    I cranked up the bars 4 turns just for the heck of it, and it carries the plow like a champ.

I would also recommend a set of Timbrens. Cheap, easy to install and really supports the extra weight of carrying the plow.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Thanks for all the info... I ordered the timbrins to day should be here early in the week. I will install them before the plow, so I should get a good feel of before/after plow install on how the ride is. Maye I will take some photos and post them for others to see.

Again thanks for the info!!

17. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

timbrens are nothing more than high impact plastic that they gouge you for. have the dealer crank up your torsion bars and do an alignment its helluva lot cheaper :realmad:

18. George C

George C Senior Member

Wrong.
    I installed the timbrens first, and my dealer didn't think I needed to touch the torsion bars after picking up the plow for the first time.
    They are not plastic, but a composite rubber that will make a huge difference in handling over the stock stops.

19. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

you don't have to cut it with a boss mount

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Got Western Mounted today....

Got me Wester 8' pro mounted today... There was no need to get the lower air dam cut at all with westerns latest mount. I posted some pics in the picture area. I can get some photos of the mount with out the plow tomorrow if people want to see it.

NOW it can snow!!!!

(Got some snow this mourning, but it did not stick :( )