1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC Sierra 1500 bumper notching

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wanagofaster, Aug 22, 2011.

1. wanagofaster

wanagofaster Junior Member
    from MD

I am going to be buying a new 1500 Sierra soon and plan to put a plow on it. However I am having a hell of a time getting concrete evidence on which plow undercarriage mount needs bumper notching and which ones dont (if any). I think the Western Ultramount needs severe notching but im not to sure about Boss. If any one has insight on this I need your help. Im sure a 2500 is no different then a 1500 when it comes to front mounts so any pics would be very helpful.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You would be wrong, 1/2 and 3/4 tons no longer share a frame they have different mounts

3. charlg

charlg Member

Here is what a Fisher set up looks like on a 2010 1500. They had to remove the lower skirt, but were able to put the mount under the tow hooks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  4. wanagofaster

from MD

Still had to notch the lower bumper huh? Im sorry but I cant buy a new truck just to take a sawall to it to plow snow.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to look into Hiniker..
    I had to do nothing...

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What year truck? My 2500 with boss plow I didn't have to do any cutting. If you crank the T-bars you'll be fine.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Every year, every option package, every manufacturer is different. 07 fascia is nothing like 04 fascia or even 06 fascia. Chevy's plow prep trucks have a different bumper then none plow prep trucks.

Most 07 mounts require a little trimming though it is not readily visible if trimmed properly.

check here for pictures of the trimming required for a Snoway
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42193&highlight=07+suburban&page=2

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

1500 dont have t-bars anymore wont work. went to coil strut.

and even if it did cranking t-bars wont help it clear the bumper when bolting on the truck frame parts.

9. wanagofaster

from MD

I was planning on getting a new one, i plow light commerical so a snoway wouldnt work. The only plow that you dont need to notch the bumper from what Ive seen is a Hiniker and Ive heard stories of those plows falling off the front of the truck.

10. sweetk30

tell ya it would be best to get a 3/4 ton if you will be as you put it commerical .

bigger brakes / tires / suspension parts / driveline parts. and t-bars to let you adjust the front hight aspr needs.

and maint and service will be less in the life of the ride over 1/2 ton truck .

i use to be a mechanic for over 10 years. seen way to many guys spend to much beefin up and maint of 1/2 ton stuff when few more upfront would have saved a LOT in the long haul.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  11. wanagofaster

from MD

Probably just gona get a Tundra my dad has one with a Western 7' 6'' pro plow handles it great, dont need any plow prep package crap, and do not need any bumper notches

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Buy American. !!!!!!

Keep America Alive and Working !!!!!..

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That sounds like a good choice to me. The Tundra is a great truck to plow with. The only thing you have to do to put a plow on a Tundra, is you have to take the tow hooks off.

The Toyota Tundra is built in Texas with more American Made parts than the F-150, Chevy/GMC 1500 and the Dodge 1500.

14. wanagofaster

from MD

I know what your saying about getting a 3/4 ton but My whole family has plowed with 1/2 tons for years and have never really had a problem. It seems like these newer 1/2 tons have really weak front ends and cant handle any weight like an older 1/2 ton. Ive plowed with an 1989 Toyota pickup for 20 years and it has a western plow on the front and does really well doing parking lots and what not.

15. sweetk30

o.k. sounds like you got it. but ya the gm 1/2 tons are now coil/strut setup . so no adjustable front unless aftermarket level kits or custom shock/spring setups.