1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc sierra 1500 advice please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by melver78, Nov 12, 2013.

1. melver78

melver78 Junior Member

HI FORUM I NEED SOME HELP ,,,I`AM TRYING TO BUY A GMC SIERRA EXT CAB 1500 4x4 VORTEC 5700 V8 DOES ANYBODY CAN TELL ME IF THIS IS A GOOD TRUCK TO PUSH SNOW,, AND WHAT KIND OF PLOW DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND ME FOR THIS TRUCK. ??? THANKS IN ADVANCE. :mechanic:

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

what exactly are you looking to do with it? year? mileage condition?

instinctively i want to steer you away but will wait for more info

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. melver78

melver78 Junior Member

The truck its on good shape its 1999 with 99000 miles on,, l`am trying to start plowing snow this year for my lawn care clients including one apartments complex,,,

4. fisher_ma

fisher_ma Junior Member
    from SE Mass

I plow driveways with a Silverado 1500 with a Fisher HT 7'6", it is a great truck for the driveways that I do and can handle them fine but if you are planning on doing any parking lots I would say look for a 3/4 ton it will hold up better and you can put a wider straight blade or a good V plow on it with no problems. As it is after plowing for several hours the tranny on my truck can get pretty hot and thats with a trans cooler, exposing it to parking lots would kill it in no time.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

>check front suspension. Probably need to torque up a bit and add Timbrens
    >Check the brake and trans lines .... if they have never been replaced - they will be soon.
    >Check the front brake sensor for anti-lock. Notorious for being in need of service
    >Add trans cooler!
    >If it is the small 105 alternator - change it unless you are plowing limited hours.

Otherwise, typically a good truck. Can handle most plows given above.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

GMT400 is a great plowing platform. Frame gussets are recommended. A reg cab long bed is more maneuverable than an ECLB.

I'm not sure what "torque up" means, but many guys like to increase front end ride height in these trucks by adjusting the torsion bars.
    Plowing does not cause brake or transmission lines to fail.
    I also don't know how to check the front brake sensor for anti-lock:dizzy:

And why are you YELLING?

7. scottL

NO ... plowingit self does not cause the lines to fail. I was providing you some insight into that model vehicle. These are common issues and cost coin. Meaning your new to you cheap ride might send you back a few more grand.:waving:

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Get what manufacturers recommend. No need to put a heavy plow on it just for doing driveways.

Do a search to see past members asking about a plow for a 1500 and you'll find what you need. Then go check all the manufacturers websites and see what you like, then see how far all the dealers are from you.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess it's time to move to Chicago and set up shop replacing brake and transmission lines on Chevy trucks. I'll do them for 2 grand all week long. I'll even use the fancy copper nickel alloy line and new tube nuts for that money.

10. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I have a 99 GMC Sierra Ext Cab with a 7.5 Meyer. These trucks are known for their rusted out rocker panels, ABS module going bad, knock sensors getting wet and going bad, and fuel pump going out. I have noticed on my truck everything near the driver's side rocker (brake lines, fuel lines, frame) is very rusty so check that area over well.

It has been ok for my use of plowing a few driveways and a parking lot that is about 100 x 100. That being said, my next truck will not be a GM.

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Absolutely check every inch of the brake lines. Mine were fairly rusted but knew I'd be ok until I wanted to send the truck in for a few other fixes right before winter since I don't drive it much but one day was coming down a steep hill and had to slam on them because of someone pulling out on my and ruptured two of the lines :eek::eek:

Oddly enough they didn't rupture where I thought they would because there was a spot near the front wheel that was really bad.

12. scottL

That would be awesome!
    Both my '97 and '07 have had line issues. Each one started by the attachment points with dissimilar metal. Then the rust, swelling and finally the failure. Brake, Oil, trans lines. My '07 has been a bit better in that only the trans lines failed. Truck is washed frequently, salt hosed off, parked on pavement, driven year round - so no issues from leaving it sit on grass.

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

GM used very poor quality lines. I'm very surprised your original lines lasted this long. Replace them with an alternative (nickel-copper) and you'll be fine.

14. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Truck should be fine for driveways and some light commercial plowing