1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC rear springs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dave1250, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi all just though someone might know if I could put 1 Ton springs under a 1/2 Ton I will not be loading this truck with alot of weight but my 3/4 Ton and soon to be 1Ton will be use for the hard work but I need to replace the springs on this 1/2 ton because one is broken . This would give me a spare Thanks Dave

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it might be just as easy to have your existing springs repaired (replace the broken leaf(s) and at the same time, perhaps add a leaf or two) rather than yank everything out & start over. I don't know about your area, but around here there are a few good spring shops - one place to inquire about spring service/shops is at a heavy truck repair garage.

Also, putting a full 1-ton set of springs under the 1/2-ton will make it ride r-e-a-l rough :eek: unless you do load it down with a lot of weight.

Just a thought!

3. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Thanks Rob I will not be driving the truck only in the winter for plowing and I thought that I`m trying to upgrade to one ton trucks so if I start putting 1 ton equiment on when I need to replace parts this will be a parts truck or spare truck when . thank alot

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

They should just bolt right in, but you will need longer u bolts with the 1/2 rear end axel tube radius.
    Dino

5. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Measure them from eye to eye first and make sure they're the same size. I thought that GM made two lengths, 52" and 56" I THINK but am not sure. I'd double check that first though. You will need some different U bolts as Dino pointed out. Any parts store should be able to help out there.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

MTCK - I have heard the same thing on the 2 different lengths, although I'm not sure what the applications were. Measure beforehand!

Dave - having things "common" between your trucks is a good idea. Keep the good leaves out of your old 1/2 ton springs after the swap just in case you need to repair or add to any of your spring packs. If they're getting tired, the bushings in the 1-ton springs may as well be replaced while it's easy to do so.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have swapped in 3/4 ton springs into 1/2 tons before, that should be more than enough spring for that truck.
    Dino

8. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I thought the 1-ton perches and springs were wider than 1/2 and 3/4 ton perches and springs.

I am looking at a '81 K30 and was wandering if I could do something to soften the suspension on a budget. I was thinking of putting half ton springs on the 1 ton truck. What do ya think?