1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC prewired switch

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Polarisrider, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

On my truck next to the air bag shut off I have the pre-wired aux switch. I would like to wire my rotator light that currently that has a ciggarette plug to a system so I can have a plug coming out of my 3rd brake light. Has anyone done this. How difficult is it, what color is the power wire? can I see it if I take the 3rd brake light cover off? And I heard you have to do something with the headliner?

thanks in advance

2. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

Idid this last winter with the direction of the guys on here . pull down the headliner ubove driver seat the two wires will be taped together right there about a foot in

3. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

Do a search on here. there is lots of info, you should also find pics and diagrams posted by members.

4. DrivewayKing

DrivewayKing Junior Member

it is easy to wire in i have done it on 7 chevy/gmc trucks. what you need to do is pull the trim piece from behind the driverside seat and you will find a wiring harness with a relay. on the relay you should find a brown wire. cut the brown wire to where you will have room to work with it remove your 3rd brake light and run your wire from your warning light through the 3rd brake light into the headlight down to the relay the brown wire is + then put a ring termail on the - and attach it to the trim screw test out the switch if everything works but your truck back together. I hope this helps you out

5. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i did this but i tapped into the relay behind the driver seat,(Reg cab, 2500hd)I just followed the 'click' of the relay and located the relay near the rear speaker. i ran the wire through an existing grommet on the floor to lights on my backrac

6. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

What about an X cab 2500 HD? Where might the wire be located?