1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc or make the switch?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NFDDJS, Jun 25, 2011.

1. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

So I have abeen 2009 GMC 3500HD diesel now with a 9.6 fisher V-Plow and a 2.5 yard fisher Poly caster. I am looking at going to a dodge 4500 diesel because I need to be able to tow 20,000lbs+ with a goose neck trailer (towing a Cat backhoe) and both the new 2011+ GMC 3500HD can and the dodge can for sure. I guess why I am looking at making the move is I have been told the dodge is better on fuel, dodge can tow more ect, and for the price the dodge set it will cost me about $1500 less. I would be switching all my plow and sand stuff over...

Have any of you guys run a newer dodge 4500? They holding up? Should I just pay the money for another GMC even with it being a smaller truck?

Any help would be great thanks!

2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

For hauling you may want to check dieselplace.com or duramaxforum.com, I remember reading on there someone had a GMC 3500HD denali and a Dodge 3500 simaltaniously and he got rid of the dodge.

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Drive them both. Forget about all the other media ads and gotcha's. Take them both for a long ride and lean towards the one that is comfortable and makes you love driving it. Remember, it's going to be your office for the next few years. If you've had good luck with GM, buying another one will put you at rest. If you buy that dodge, it'll be in the back of your mind waiting for something to fail. At least thats how I think. I usually stick with what works. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Oh, on a side note. Look into that diesal exhaust injection fluid. It's a pain to some and no big deal to others. I dont think the 2011 dodge 4500 are running it, but you may need to check on that.

4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Ram chassis cabs do use diesel exhaust fluid.

5. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Gotchya. I knew it was coming, I just couldnt recall if it was this year or next. Thumbs Up

6. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

Yeah they all do now... It sounds like the DEF is coming to stay for awhile...

7. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I was afraid of that.:help: