1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC Front end noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

Well the season will be on us before you know it and it's time for me to start paying some attention to the truck. 2004 GMC 2500HD CC 90K. I've got this weird "groaning" sound in the left front. It is most noticeable first thing in the morning at very slow speeds like after backing out of the driveway. It only makes the sound when turning right and going forward, it doesn't change with road speed. It doesn't sound like a C/V or wheel bearing and makes no difference with suspension travel or steering linkage travel.

Any ideas?

2. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

My 2003 is doing the same thing haven't been able to figure it out yet.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Rotate your tires first and see what happens. You may be surprised. If it's not tires, my guess would be a hub bearing.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Could be a hub assembly going bad.

5. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I rotated the tires a few days ago and still happening. I'll have to try the hub assemblies and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. Sorry Motorman didn't mean to take over your thread.

6. Not a problem. I'm not sold on the hub assembly though. It's not a rotational or road speed affected sound. It really has me stumped at this point.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You had better get it in the air and give it a good shake down.

8. I got it in the shop for service today. All of the front end components are tight. I greased the front end. Shocks and contol arm bushings look good. I'm looking for more input if you guys have it.

9. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Put it up in the air again and put it in four wheel drive. Put it in drive and see if you can fear the noise. If you can, then put it in two wheel drive. If you cant hear it in two wheel drive, put it back in 4wd and hold one front tire and accelerate. If the noise is gone then it's something to do with that tire. If the noise is still present, hold the opposoite front tire. let us know what you find.

10. Thanks. The noise is present in 2 and 4 wheel drive and definitely on the left side. It is not a drivetrain issue as it doesn't increase or decrease with road speed. It sounds just like a bad control arm bushing but it isn't because the noise doesn't change with suspension travel. I suppose it could be a hub bearing starting to go but it just doesn't sound like a bearing (at this point anyway).

11. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I was interested if it went away in two wheel drive up on the lift. You'd be surprised what kind of noises a bearing can make. My key though on why is because you said that it went away when you turned one way and not the other.

12. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

Motorman, I have been looking around online about the problem that we are having. A lot of people on different forums are saying it is the intermediate steering shaft. It sounds like it is a common problem. many people have had them replaced under warranty. It sounds like some people have had it replaced more than once. They also say that it is not doing harm to anything just annoying. Take this for what it is (internet forums). I think I will take mine in to get it looked at by dealer in the next few days. I will keep you up to date on my progress and good luck with yours, and let me know if you get yours figured out.

13. Thanks Dude. Been there, done that.......it's not the shaft. I had that done under warranty many years ago. This isn't my first rodeo but I appreciate the response.

14. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

The shaft generally makes a "thumping" or "clunking" noise. I would like to eliminate those wheel hubs. Maybe a detailed explination of the noise is due. I was under the assumption that it was a groan, kind of like a growl maybe? Is there any way possible to get a little more detailed description of the noise?

15. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

Thanks for the info. That was the closest thing I saw that sounded like it might be the issue.

The noise that mine is hard to explain. That being said, It's a groaning/ squeak like noise when I make a harder right turn. Like Motorman said it seems to be more prevalent in the morning hours. I can really hear it when I pull into work (I live 4 miles from the shop). It's doesn't grind like metal on metal. It almost sounds like something is moaning/squeaking on rubber of some sort. I don't ever hear anything while moving down the road. Just when I turn. Not sure this is any better of a explanation then Motorman gave, but the best I can describe it to someone.

I had a guy from work who is very mechanical when it comes to cars and he had no idea what it was just from listening. He has replaced a good deal of hub assemblies on his wife's car and he said it didn't really sound like that. I'm not saying I'm ruling that out just because he said it didn't sound like it. I'm not very mechanically savvy when it comes to cars. Like I said before I'll be taking it in in the next couple of days to see if someone can figure it out.

16. camarojoe

camarojoe Junior Member

Not sure if your year has a steering dampner shock but I have a 97 replaced every part in the front end and still had a moaning creeking noise disconnected the shock and noise was gone. $30 bucks for new one and problem completly solved. Hope this helps.
    Joe

17. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Aaahhhh, so we are looking at more of a squeak. I always figured a groan for a growl. Squeaks can be all kinds of weird things. Dry and tight ball joints can squeak, A arm bushings can squeak, body mounts that have rotted or broken can be an annoying and hard to pin point squeak. Push down one each corner of the bumpers and see if you can closer pin point it. If you can, have a buddy push for you while you inspect closer.

18. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow and see if you can make out the sound. It's hard to explain, I know I said squeak but it's not like one I've ever heard

19. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I have a similar sound too that has me stumped! Does yours also sound almost like it is coming from the dash? Mine sounds like a rattle/ vibration/ groan coming from between the engine compartment and the cab at low speeds, in the morning. Once the truck has been running a while it will go away.

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Take a close look to see if the backing plate was bent and is rubbing on rotor.