1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC electrical system

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wcup102, Sep 13, 2012.

1. wcup102

wcup102 Junior Member

I am currently looking for a plow light and was looking at rotator mini bars and LED's. I realize LED's draw less, but I was told that if I use a rotator that draws 6-8 amps on a cigarette plug, that it will overheat the plug, possibly causing it to melt or stop working. I didn't want to spend alot on a light, I like rotators as they seem more visible, but has anyone else heard of this problem? He also said the GM electrical systems are weak and can't support alot of extra draw on them. I also told him I was going to be putting on aux. back up lights possibly too.

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

This ummm person---did he ever hear of a device called a FUSE?????Unless somebody screwed with your ride,you have fuses and other electrical protection.If the beacon has a male end for a female port it will work.Worst thing that will happen is you'll blow a fuse and that's usually because somebody might have tapped on that circuit already.Also,tell him he's wrong about GM systems being weak.I have app.10 add on devices with no problems at all.Guess he never heard of a relay.
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

First I have ever heard of a rotator being more visible??? Have you ever driven by a police car? With led/ strobe they are blinding. If you can afford it stobe / led are far superior.
  4. wcup102

wcup102 Junior Member

well men its like this, the guy that gave me that info works at an installer for police and fire equipment lights, radios and sirens. Second, Brad, I am familiar with strobes and LEDS and some are NOT that bright in direct sunlight and I have never had issues with a rotator not being seen. Third, Brad, I am a cop. This is alll tongue in cheek humor except that last statement. I appreciate the feedback and don't really want to shell out coin for a LED light even though I think they do look nice. I have about 20 residential jobs and take the light off in the summer so I don't use it year round and can't justify the extra cost sitting there for decoration basically. I have never had problems in the past in my 34 years of plowing with a rotator, but just wanted some positive reinforcement from other knowledgeable sources such as yourselves. Again, thank you.
  5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think a rotator is very bright in sunlight either. I have used both and would never think of going back to a rotator. You can get a real nice magnetic strobe with a cigatette plug for a 100 bucks. Or a cheapo strobe for 30 bucks. For most people its not a big cost issue. They also have some good rotators for around a $100 type in beacon in the search. A nice unit http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365215_200365215 something decent and reasonable http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482373_200482373 A pice of junk http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_19185_19185
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

The only thing I can say good about magnetic rotators is that you can hear them if you forget to turn them off during the day Thumbs Up