1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC dually vs cab and chassis

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 03Duramax, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

Hey guys, im in the market for a GMC 1 ton dump flat bed, I got my eye on a 2006 GMC regular cab long box 3500 dually pick-up. I planned on buying the truck and pulling the box off and installing a flatbed dump on it, but I hear that the Axle width is narrower on a cab and chassis. I was thinking that this may cause a problem with mounting the dump unit?? Is there a frame difference in the dually vs. the cab and chassis?? Do you guys think this will work?

2. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Both the rear axle and the frame are usually narrower on C&C trucks vs. "dually pickups" In my experience 34" is a common frame width for C&C trucks, and around 37" on pickups. This can vary im sure but its what I have commonly seen. The wider rear axle shouldnt affect you much, just be know what the width is from outside-of-tire to outside-of-tire. Frame width will be your biggest issue with mounting the box. If you are planning on a used box, you will probably find that most have the main rails at the 34" width. This could certainly be modified to fit, requiring either a little fab skill or the money to have someone modifiy it for you. If you are going new, you should be able to get a box built to fit your frame width without too much trouble. If the truck is right for you, go for it especially if you have the time and skills to do the job then post up some pictures to show us all how you did.

3. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

Thanks for the imput, I will deff. post pics if i get this truck and project completed!

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I just ran into this with my 2008 Chevy. They told me that they could not legally put on a dump because it was 38" not the C&C 34". I said ******** and then they hung up on me. Sooo, it has to be custom.

5. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

I wonder if this same law applies in NY, I dont see why 4" would make that big of a differance?

6. maelawncare

Same thing I said.

7. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

Did you have have to do any serious fabrication, how far off are the mounts from a factory built dump?

8. maelawncare

Haven't done anything yet. Still trying to find someone who can do it.

9. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

I was talkin to my wwelding buddy tonight and he said the 4" difference wont be an issue at all, He said a little fabrication and ill be in business.

10. crazyhickboy03

crazyhickboy03 Junior Member

be careful on some C&C, we had one and when we put a dump box on it didn't come over the top of the tires and when you would try and take a skid loader you will hit your tires before getting close enough to dump because if it being a wide axle.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget the C&C axle is usually further aft than a dually pickup. This is important to push some of the payload onto the front axle. It also improves towing.