1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC dually viable option for plowing?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Jim H, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Jim H

Jim H Junior Member
    from Ohio

Just picked up a GMC dually to replace my older 4wd Chevy truck. My question is will I have any difficulties plowing since the outer rear wheels will outside of the path of my plow blade? I plow a 200 foot driveway that sees considerable snow. Thanks.

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

What size and brand of plow? If getting a larger plow to fit the same mount, maybe look into factory wings or the ProWings for your current blade.

3. Jim H

Jim H Junior Member
    from Ohio

It's an older Western plow.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The question is how wide is the blade and is the truck a reg/sc or a crew cab with a 8 ft bed?

5. Mcadieux01

Mcadieux01 Junior Member

I have a 3500 dually and have a 9 foot boss I wouldn't plow with smaller. If you go smaller you will drive over snow and turn your truck into a snow packer and get stuck many times. Make sure u have your dually wheels spaced.

6. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

I plow with my 76 chevy dually. My old western plow isn't wide enough so I run in the snow all the time if the blade is angled. My truck does have a Locker, awelding bed made of 3/16 steel and a miller welder generator bolted on. I fill the side tool boxes with solid cement blocks. and don't run wheel spacers. The only time I've been stuck is when the snow is deep enough to go over the top of the blade. When you do get stuck your not getting out with a light tug. you need big equipment once its stuck.