1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC Diesel 97 won't move, 4L80 no reverse/1st gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raycroft_stinks, Nov 27, 2010.

1. raycroft_stinks

raycroft_stinks Junior Member

Guys, new to the site, but my plow truck just gassed out on the 1st snow day of the year.

It's a 97 GMC Sierra 1/2 tonne Diesel with the 4L80 obviously. Just mounted the plow, made 2 or 3 pushes, went from reverse and tried to put in forward and nothing happened, just felt like i was hitting neutral. Went back to reverse and nothing. Shitfing back and forth for a few minutes and it still wouldn't move.

No noises, no burning fluid, just out of the blue it broke.

After letting the truck sit for 10 minutes it went back into gear and worked fine for a few mintes then stopped going into gear again.

Linkage is all good, lots of fluid, ruled out the basic stuff.

Is this ole girl junk?? Any help would be great

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ray does it go forward but no backwards? If that is the case you have a broken reverse band, pretty common in the 480LE. I had it happen last year, one last push in the pile and put it in reverse and it didn't do anything, just sat there. Had to have my jeep pull me off the pile and I could go forward but no backwards. The ear breaks off the reverse band and off course its the first component
    in the case so everything has to come out to replace it.

Good Luck Mike

3. raycroft_stinks

No movement, forward or reverse

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Im not sure on that one, good luck

Mike

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

6. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Belts are good?

7. raycroft_stinks

Belts? Like engine belts?? I don't see any relation....

8. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Maybe the converter or the pump let go. Hard to tell which one is bad without taking the trans out. I know you prolly dont wanna hear that but it sounds like you need to get it on a lift and pull it out.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA yeah I read that post....good one!

Try checking your line pressure. Remove or just loosen one of the lines going into the radiator and have someone start the truck and be able to shut it down on your command. Make sure you have a rag to hold over the line and a drain pan under the truck. Chances are it may be a front pump but it will need to come out just the same. Long shot but check the fuses or while truck off have someone shift the truck with E brake on and observe linkage @ transmission. Could be possible the cable broke, had that happen to me.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That's the first thing I thought, had the same problem as well a couple years ago.

11. josh9410

josh9410 Member

sounds like a broken band and or a broken reverse drum...had that happen to my 98 and my 02