1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc Ck eng light with an exaust leak

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grnstripes, Jul 17, 2010.

1. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

good morning all just a quick question
    my 05 Gmc has had a small exaust leak in the manafolds for several months now
    usually the noise goes away when it warms up but a couple weeks ago the ck engine light came on I belive it is from this exaust leak setting off the o2 sensior is there a way to get this light out without having to replace the manifolds ( like cross the wires to the sensor or something ) or am I in for a big repair

thanks for your help

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yet to see an exhaust leak affect a ck engine light. Only been a tech 12 years. What is the code u have anyway. Is it a o2 slow responce code or are u guessing that is what the code is U need to give more info to be able to help I cant guess what the code is to help u fix it. U might have rotted bolted holding ur manifold common probelm

3. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

the rear bolts on both sites heads broke and so there is a small leak were the manafold mounts to the motor but the noise gose away whene it warms up ( meatel expanding ) I just fuigured that that set the code off we tried to download it last week ( my buddy brought over his reader ) and we could not get a code to come up but I had a short in the positive wire feeding from the battery thought that was why it wouldnt read but that is fixed and I havent had him over to try re reading it yet just thought that would cause it
    thanks for your help on this

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think It is causing ur ck engine light. Maybe a major leak would cause a slow o2 responce. There are so many common reasons to put that light on It would take a while to write them all. Best is to get the code and post it in the chevy forum and go from there.

brad