1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC/Chevy Fuel pump whine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gpin, Jan 8, 2005.

1. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have a 2000 GMC 3500 Dually Dump. The fuel pump has always made a whining sound. A few of my co-workers have Chevy/GMC with the same whine. I replaced the fuel filter, no change in the sound, the old filter was clean. The dealer says that the sound is normal. They were willing to change out the fuel pump but they warned that the next pump could be louder. Is this really normal?
  2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Yes it is normal, you prob dont have anything to worry about. I once had one that was louder then the motor....Rob
  3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I've got a '98 K2500 5.7 and my pump has whined on and off for years. I was concerned at first, but as it has not gotten worse or failed, I just live with it.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

yeah thats normal as soon as you turn your key on the fuel pump kicks on i knew my fuel pump went out when i didnt hear that whine.
  5. akayii

akayii Junior Member

gotta live with it

yeah,, its normal. I bought a 98 Z71 1/2 ton new with the 5.7 vortec. I complained so much I had the dealer change mine when the truck was just a couple of weeks old. Same sound with new pump. In fact they will whine longer if you shut the truck off cold.
  6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys. It's an odd noise and I just wanted some feedback to be comfortable that it wasn't on it's way out.
  7. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

I have a '99 Suburban with the same whine. I'm glad to find out it is common. I was thinking I was going to have to replace it soon. About 2 months ago my fuel gauge needle started working weird. It vibrates so fast and in to a small degree that it looks blurry. It still works fine, just odd. Hopefully that isn't an omen that the sending unit is getting ready to go. Whine on!!