1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc C5500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by S120483, Jan 10, 2006.

1. S120483

S120483 Junior Member

My company is currently looking at getting a C5500 with a 12ft stake bed for pickup and deliveries. I was thinking I could put a plow in it to make it doubly useful becasue we need to plow the lots anyways. The truck will be regular cab with the Duramax 605lbft torque and allison auto. If we get the plow for it I will order it with the 4x4 option. Does anyone have experience plowing with this setup ro similar? I would put a Western 9ft. contractors grade plow on it and a western 2000 receiver mount spreader in back. I have about a 100 car lot to plow and some additional roads to clear near by. What do you guys think, any recomendations ro drawbacks to share? Thanks

Jay

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

That set up is golden. There are a few guys on here that run that set up. I would recommend getting the western pro wing to make it 10'. The nice thing is that truck will turn tighter than a Chevy 2500HD. So its great for plowing.

3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

You Will Love It!!!!

I drive a 5500 4wheel with a Fisher 10' The truck is unstoppable. I plow anything from a 20 acre lot down to twisty hilly driveways. It has been stuck one time in a flat lot. I was pushing about 10-12" of wet snow on our largest lot. I was backing up and went through my windrow that raised the entire truck a foot off the ground. This while having 4 tons of salt on. I barley use four wheel in the lots. Just loading docks and driveways. Its nice to have it there when ya need it though so I would order it. They are a lil slow in reverse...bounces of the rev limiter at 11 mph. I plow all night on about 25 gallons of fuel (14-16 hours). Make sure to get a trip edge plow. I can push piles the size of small houses. Last snowfall the owner had me drive a pickup so someone else could salt.......and I thought I was gonna go crazy. We had 2inces and I could barley move. Any other questions pm me.

Neil

4. S120483

S120483 Junior Member

Ride height?

Guys I was curiuous how much higher the 4x4 5500 sits than the 2x4 version. If I get the 4x4 would it make the bed height "dock high?" Or is it only a little different? By the way thanks for the posts. You guys have convinced me to get the truck. I will make the order on Monday.

Jay