1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC almost ready

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sully853, Nov 27, 2011.

1. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

Got a couple inches here and there but nothing realy. pulled the plow out this weekend and started to get everything ready. The good news is everythings working well with the truck and plow. I'm looking to add a back rack to mount my strobe on and was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on running the wire through the rear firewall.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

run the wiring under the frame and to the front fire wall and bring it through where the plow wiring comes through.

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Nice! Are those 285's? I have always run my wires into the engine bay, then run them to the lights.

4. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

yes those are the 285s, what are you guys using as a power sorce for the lights?, are you going straight to the battery or tapping into a fuse?

5. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I would run off the battery and install an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

6. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I agree with what the above posted. If you came through the rear you would risk letting water leak in by it following the wire. When you have a low spot it gives the water a chance to drip off to the ground and not into your truck.

7. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

if you have the plow prep, you should have a switch on the dash. if you trace it back(or listen for the click whnet he button is pressed) there should be a relay behind the drivers seat,near the rear speakers. I ran my back rack lights down betweeen the cab and bed and right under the cab on the corner is a grommet. i snaked the wire through there to the relay.

8. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

x2 on the grommet in the rear cab corner. thats where i run my wires. you can then follow the plastic trim along the bottom of the doors and run the wires right through there, and up into the fuse panel. easiest way in my opinion.

9. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

yes I do have plow prep. Is the gromet located underneath the truck in the driver side cab corner? will i be able to get to it if i have an underseat storage box?

10. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

can some one help me out here

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Everything works fine until you start plowing! :laughing: :gunsfiring:

12. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

Nothings broken im just trying to figure out where exactley to access the rear gromet JLsDMAX was talking about and also if i can get to it if I have the underseat storage box.

13. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a real nice looking truck. Always loved those style gmc's.