1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC ABS faulty or what

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stillen, Dec 7, 2003.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Ok , this will be a ramble... I got a 95 GMC 3/4 , when I attempt to stop on hard packed snow, I hear and feel what seems likje the ABS unit kicking in.... Only thing is, the truck doesnt stop,it kinda slides a few feet, not sure how much. But to the point where I'm like oh S**T, and half the time i end out inthe middle of a intersection. The ABS makes a pulsating/grinding noise, and i can feel the brakes kinda pumping. eventually i do stop, i guess this is a heavy thhing to stop ..... any suggestions? am i a wack job?

2. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I have a 96 Ranger and Ill bet that mine skids 50 feet further than yours when the ABS kicks in. There is no real good way around it other than unplugging it, which can have an even worse effect. I say, learn to live with it and make sure you've got good insurance.;)

Tony

3. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 95 Chevy. I think it is just the way the ABS is. Maybe there is a way to disconnect them during a snowstorm? Hmmm...got me thinking now.:confused:

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The ABS is just working. I hated it at 1st but now feel it's a good thing to have. Just press down on the pedal and it will stop. If you try to release the pedal when it does it the computer gets funky and can't decide what to do.

5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i have a 2000 chevy 1500 it does when i hit bumps just the way their desighned guess we wont have any problems lockign up

6. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

Your brakes are working perfect and that is the way ABS works they kick in when the computer senses wheel lock up and automatically cuts power and then applies it so the vehicle does not lock the wheels up and slides out of control,it is just like the days when you were told to pump the brakes in winter if the roads where slippery, only with ABS it's done for you. the vehicle won't stop faster only safer.

7. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

My truck would do the same thing and I would slam the snowbanks hard. I did not care for the feeling of loss of control and that ungodly sound coming from the brakes. I took the abs fuse out and now IMO I feel much safer and the truck will stop the way I want it to. No more hammering into those banks at 15mph. I have had no problems with the fuse pulled for the last year except for the abs light being on.

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have 95 Gmc 3500 as you can see it quite a bit heavery than a 3/4 ton. i get that pumping noise a few time but mostly on ice. I never have problem with sliding. Maybe you are driving too fast :p

[​IMG]

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.......Remember the 88 and up old body
    style full size GMs.
    The antilock system only works on 2 wheels only
    when in 4 wd.

Otherwise when in 2 wd the antilock works on all
    4 wheels.

99 and up new body style the ABS DOES work on all
    4 wheels when in 4 wd or 2 wd......

And yes I DO agree that the ABS is a PIA. But they say
    it works better than pumping them yourself.....geo

10. springer

springer Junior Member
    from Arizona

abs

I also question the abs on my 2000 chev 4x4. Don't get me wrong, I understand how they work and have them on my other vehicles. The chevy truck is the only vehicle the scares the S__t out of me. Not all the time, but when it does, it almost feels like you got a hard peddle but very little if no brake action at all. I to have slid into intersections. Damn near slide thru my garage door last year. NEVER had this type of problem on any other vehicle I have driven. Again, I for one do not think it is typical abs function.
    Just my point of view.
    Thanks, Springer

11. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok guys brake lesson #1--- abs will take longer to stop a veicle -- it just woulnt lock the wheels--- and any one who modifies a truck with abs such as a plow or salter should have it disconected--- cause abs can not handle the extra weight ---why do u think the dont use it on 18 wheelers---
    My Blazer dont have abs but i still beefed up the brake system so i can stop that extra weight

some one mentioned two weels and not four
    ok that is called rear antilock or rwal--when its all 4 wheels it is 4wal or tru antilock

any questions feel free to ask -- Ive been doing brakes and mods for truck for close to twenty years

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  12. GPB

GPB Member

I dont care for the ABS myself. They dont stop nearly as fast as the old pumping the brakes were. Ive had many close calls because of the darn things. Its the worst if you have dry tar under the drivers side and ice under the passenger side. You still have 2 wheels on dry tar but the stupid thing starts to pump your brakes like there all on ice and away you go, into the intersection.
    I think there designed for someone who panics and just slams on the brakes. There I can see how they would work better.
    Wish they had a switch on the dash so you could shut them off if you needed to.

13. DAS

DAS Junior Member

here's a kicker.... in 1998 when I first got my new truck (ordered with a plow prep) I had a big problem with every time i stopped and the pavement was a little rough, the abs would kick in. I called chevy (corporate) and they asked if I was pumping the brakes. I told them NO, and they proceeded to tell me that in order for them to work properly YOU had to pump the brakes. I thought that was the idea of abs......pump so you don't have to. They couldn't come up with an answer...

14. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I own a 2003 2500HD and would have to say that the brake feel isn't to reasurring. It feels spongy when the ABS is working, scares me too. I have at least 5 other friends with '01 and up chevs/gmcs and they all report the same thing, that and the back discs wearing out faster than they should.

15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I drove a company 1999 GMC for 3 years and had to replace rear rotors twice. Also, the ABS module went belly up twice. About a $1000 a shot. Company said fix it so I did. The dealer said GM was going to do a recall eventually.

16. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

my 2000 gmc is fine and i know alot of guys with them no problem here

17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

ABS the saddness

I've read a number of interesting takes on the Chevy ABS issue. I too had ( have ) the issue when trying to stop in slippery or specifically snow covered ground all bets are off. My truck is a '97 crew cab 3500. There are three wheel speed sensors. It turns out the driver side front is prone to failer. Rust and dirt are the typical problems. When this sensor fails the ABS acts up horribly. I've talked with numerous chevy folks and after market custom shops. The gist is ABS will not stop your truck faster in snow. It will stop the truck typically faster on all other surfaces - typically. The deal with snow is the build up of snow in front of the tire actually helps the truck stop. However, you then loose the ability to have a clear tire steer - hence forward or which ever direction you are presently going. Now A few folks have removed the fuse to disengage the ABS during plowing - seemingly no problems. ( I haven't tried this myself ). In any case front ABS stink rear ABS rocks.

18. GPB

GPB Member

I agree with ScottL, rear abs works great. In the past I've owned several early to mid ninties chevys with the rear abs that I thought worked very well. The 4 wheel abs on the newer stuff is a joke. Fords arent any better. I drive em both and they act the same. Get on a road that has dry tar with scattered icy patches and all bets are off if you'll stop before you hit the intersection.