1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc 8.1l?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike_09, Nov 14, 2005.

1. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

What Type Of Mpg Are You Guys Getting Out There Hauling Lawn Trailers? How Does This Compair To The 6.0? Also Do You Have A Pic Of The Mount Mounted On Two The Truck(boss Or Sno-way Or Western) I Want To See How Much You Would Have To Cut On The Front Bumper?

2. automd

automd Junior Member

i have a 2001 2500 suburban 4x4 8.1 i get about 11-12 city 13-14 hwy no trailer, when i tow car trailer i get 9-10 hwy. my friends with 6.0 get 2-3 mpg better than me. as for the mount i don't have a pic but with western uni-mount i had to cut about 3 inches from each foglight on the lower valence panel

3. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

So do you think i should get the 6.0 over the 8.1? i would love the duramax but the money. Do you think the 6.0 should haul 18 foot open trailer with two dixie chopper on it pretty good? what mpg do you think i would get? the trailer won't come off of the truck during the mowing season cause it's to much of a hazzel to hook it up every day so i will be hauling the trailer all the time, i have a ford 250hd with the 5.8 351 and gets between 6 and 9 depends on how we drive so would this gmc do better than the ford? . Also how would the 6.0 do for plowing? what mpg would the gmc get hauling an 8foot plow all winter season and will not come off till the spring?

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Seriously, in your situation, if I absolutlely could not afford a Duramax Diesel, I would go with a slightly used truck. If you plan to leave the 18' trailer on all season until winter, and then plan to plow with it, a diesel truck would be the ONLY way to fly!

5. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I am not sure about the mpg question but one of the trucks we use is an 04' 2500HD with a 6.0 in it and it pulls out big landscape trailer with 2 60" ZTR's and a 48" WB (plus all other gear.. trimmers, blowers, etc.) like it is empty. Can do 65-70 and still have power to pass. I thikn the Duramax would be a waste and take too long for you to get your money out of it with just gas mileage to benefit. But, that is just my .02 cents and prolly don't mean squat. :)

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

6.0 would be fine. I tow a 20 foot Enclosed trailer with my 01 3/4ton.

7. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

Whats your mpg hauling your 20ft trailer?

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

like 8. I dont really keep that much track when towing because I wont want to know what it is.