1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 5500 for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NAC, Jan 21, 2004.

1. NAC

NAC Senior Member

I am interested in getting a new truck for work for later on this year. I am very interested in a GMC top kick 5500 duramax diesel with 14" aluminum dump body with fold down sides with a 25,000 gvw. but the truck is only 2 wheel drive. does any body have one any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Looked at them when, I bought my new truck 3500 mason dump with durmac and the Allison should be back from Body company this week. The top kick is a nice truck. Call Colonial Motors they just GMC truck they in Somerville 908 722-2700. I been buying off them for last 20 years. Last year to took my truck in during the presidents day storm and fixed my 4wd acutator on the spot.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It would be a great truck to have a plow on. The only immediate drawback I see is where you can utilize such a plow. That is a big truck. You would need a serious commercial lot such as a Wal Mart to really make use of a truck that size.

I think it might be better if you get a stainless dump or purchased a large v-box and use it as a salter. I know a lot of people around here that plow a lot but want to out source a salter.

4. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Do you know if it is possible to add a dump style tailgate spreader to this body and what kind of plow would you put on this truck (how big?)

5. Plow Meister

Sure you can. I forget the mag. names at the moment but just about any med - heavy truck upfitter can hook you up. As far as a blade goes, I would put a 10 footer on it. The truck could handle it easy. It should be geared low enough so the engine doesn't work too hard. In both cases, it may be more economical to go with a central hydraulic system to operat all your goodies (dump bed, spreader, plow, winch).

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Now that is 1 exception where a 2 wheel drive would be good for plowing. However like Plow Meister said, you will need a BIG lot for that thing.:nod: :waving:

7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I could have used a truck like that for the condos I used to do few years ago.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

if you put chains on it you should have no problem do roads pkg lots

9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

If you're looking for something in the same league of trucks, why not look into a F-450 or F-550. They're not as big as the Chevies, and has just as many plowing abilities. The Powerstroke diesel option on the Fords have been around for some time now and I have not heard to this day of anyone having problems with them. Also, as long as it's a dually, you shouldn't have too many problems if you have enough weight in the back such as a V-box or a tailgate spreader with Salt in the dumpbed. Just a thought. Good luck.

10. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a Chevy C4500 with 12' rack dump and 9' Fisher X-Blade on it. It plows just fine. Of course there is the occasional slip when trying to get going on ice, but it is much better than my 3500 in 2WD. I do have a V-box spreader in the back and when it is empty you also slip a little more.

Great power, turning radius, visibility. I will buy another one before I buy another 3500 4X4.

Carl

11. Plow Meister

carlriv2

You don' think that is kind of a big truck for "occasional" plowing? Hey, if you need a truck that big for your masonry work than absolutely go for it. It seems to be a great truck.

NAC,

Maybe I should ask this... What kind of plowing do you do on a regular basis? And where do you think this truck will come in handy as a plow vehicle? Knowing these factors will help us better understand and help up-fit your truck properly.

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We run a 2003 Chevy 4500 with a 10' Fisher MC Plow and a 4yd downeaster sander, the truck is awsome to plow with, last year it plowed town roads for the local highway dept. and this year it is in a large parking lot, put a good set of tires on the rear and we have very few problems with traction. Plows more snow than our 3500's and cost less. It does have it's limitations because it is larger but it is a great plow truck. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

13. farmertim

farmertim Member

:waving:

If you wait until july of this year you can order a 5500 & 4500 with 4X4.
    I am looking into one now only thing is the shortest wheel base is 60 inches from cab to axle which may be a bit long for me.
    This is going to be my pick up as well, I just wish they made a 11 foot v plow, would the cats a$$ then...
    Good luck..

14. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

a tailgate spreader...no, I would suggest a grain body truck if you want to have a tailgate spreader, it holds more salt, the small sides of the truck wouldn't really work with a tailgate spreader. As for a plow you could probably put a 9 or 10ft. plow on it. Go with a v box spreader. Not sure if you've seen, but Foxy Landscaping out of Butler a short sided International with v-box spreader. Jus my 2 cents.

15. NAC

NAC Senior Member

GMC 5500 for plowing

now I am a sub for someone else I have :
    1 GMC 2500HD with 8" blade
    1 John Deere 250ssl with 8" pusher
    2 Honda snow blowers
    ? As many laborers to shovel as I need

I am looking to do my own contract work for next year or sub the new truck out for plowing or salting

16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

If the 5500 is a (25000 gvw). why not just go with a 6500 (26000).I run a couple F-650s and F600s ,700s and they all do fine for plowing streets and large lots. We run central hydros and undertailgate spreaders on the 650s.

17. Plow Meister

Before you make a commitment to buy such a large vehicle, I would ask the following...

1. Does the size of the vehicle coincide with the type of plowing I would see myself eventually doing?

2. If this vehicle will be primarily used for other business, will the added expense (say $6,000 to $8,000) of adding a plow and salter be justified? ie. can I make this money back in 2 years?

3. Can I accomplish the same tasks in a smaller vehicle?

4. Does this vehicle give me TOO much room to grow? ie. Am I buying more truck than I can fully utilize?

5. Am I aware of the additional maintenance regiment involved with a truck of this caliber? Also, the higher cost of insurance and licensing?

6. After adding up all the additional costs of maintaining a vehicle of this caliber, will this truck make me money steadily throughout the year?

Please understand, I am not trying to talk you out of buying this truck. I just hope you know what it takes to keep a truck of this size. I have been dealing with medium duties for a long time. I am hoping to buy a Super Crewzer this year if wifey lets me. I know what is involved in these trucks and the time and effort it takes to keep one on the road and making money. I hope you do get one because I want to see lots of pics when it gets up-fitted with all the snow goodies and lights.:D

18. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Is the truck going to be cdl or under cdl. There are many places in this area that require snow plowing. I'm sure you will be able to acquire a couple of large accounts if the price is right. You should be able to handle 3 large accounts with all the equipment you have.

19. Plow Meister

That would require a CDL, which he may not have.

20. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Here you have to have a cdl for 26500 or above .And it has to have juice brakes.