1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 4500 2 wheel drive???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dojo, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

We are buying a new GMC 4500 2 wheel drive. I am looking for any opinions or experience with anyone doing snow removal with a 2wd. The dealer said there would be no problem, because of the weight of the salt. They would tell you anything to get you out the door, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I know a few guys with those trucks and said they are pretty good in the snow if you have a load of salt in it.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

2 wheeler

ask most municipality's they have been using two wheel drive's for the last 30 years ,what kind of body are you going to put on it,flat bed, dump with drop down sides,it adds a lot a of weight (spreader).if has air brakes or not add on spot tire chains ,they work with a flip of a switch

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

should work as long as you remember its not a 4x4. i think id go for a international but im a international fan anyways......
    congrats

5. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

I thought we should be fine with the salt weight, because none of the other trucks are ever in 4x4 but there has been those times when you need it for 5 minutes. The bed on the new truck is 12' so I didn't know if that long wheelbase would make it want to fishtail all over. I appreciate the input -- any other opinions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Drop 3-4 tons of salt in the back
    9' western pro plus with wings
    Remember its a 2wd truck

You will be just fine.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Also dont send that truck to small sites. We run two 4500's and they work great

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Why wouldnt you just get a 4x4?

9. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

4x4 is alot more money on a 4500, and in reality with a full load of salt there is no need for it. also i would check into the new boss xt sereis plow for it, they are mental and would look awsome on a 4500. 10 footer.

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

How much more money do you think you are going to spend in increased wear and tear pushing that 2 wheel drive drivetrain to the max. What is it going to cost you when you cant get out in a storm because your slipping and sliding all over the place, or worse.....you cant move in a snowstorm........Just playing devils advocate.....:)

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The answer to your questions depends on WHAT you intend on plowing. Open lots and roads?

12. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Doing snow means 4 x 4. There is no substitute. "NONE".

4 x 4 or like others have said, you'll be dead in the water in storms!! :dizzy:

What is going on with snow removal... lots of newbies with these "do I need a 4 x 4 questions....geez... it's snow...yeah, 4 x 4 is called for... :rolleyes:

:)

13. Mick

from Maine

Same thing every year. Everybody wants to plow, but not many have a 4wd to start with. So they want to get by with what they have. If you've never plowed before, it's easy to think how things could be done, instead of how they really are.

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

There have been many times when the snow was so heavy that our 4X4 one tons would just skid out when you had the blade angled on some of the long pushes, and the only thing that would not is the 2wd 4500 loaded with salt or the one ton with the v-box We even had the 4x4 go out on the chebby one ton a few times times (crappy design) and just put a scoop of sand in it and it worked great.. I would not worry about being able to plow with it. Just like said it will work in large areas and long pushes, but that is what you use medium duty trucks for anyhow. Good luck

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  15. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Been plowing for 5 years with 2w/d with a locker, never stuck once. I do run chains in a heavy storm. Won't push up hill from a stop at the bottom, but other than that its a tank.

16. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

actually,in a 4500 I believe when i got my 3500 the 4x4 was around 1700 more at least thats what they quoted me I could have had an 06 4500 8.1 Gasser with a 9ft western and dump body for around 45 grand out the door trust me u need 4x4 spend the money now instead of in the trans shop or at the dealer giving you the bs that Ur not coved due to over working the rear end

17. Mick

from Maine

Pertaining to the cost of 4wd - either give it up when you buy the truck or give it up to the wrecker that comes to pull you out and the business you don't take because you'd need 4x4.

If you're going to do a job, get the right tool for the job or let someone else do it.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What's up with not reading all the replies? How many muni 4X4 trucks do you see? They've been plowing with 2WD trucks for at least the 30 years that the previous poster stated.

And I have a 2WD F800 that I've been using for 9 seasons, only been stuck 2 or 3 times when the operator got too close to the edge. Other than that, when loaded, this truck is unstoppable, even in the 20+ inch storm we had a few years back. I also have a F750 that is 2WD, been running that for 6 seasons and only been stuck once--again too close to the edge.

Haven't been dead in the water yet.

A 2WD truck will be just fine--in the right application as Mick stated. It has been for years, you can't deny it. You just have to use your brain when setting up a lot or driveway.

Mick, what about when you get stuck with 4WD? Everybody has or will get stuck sooner or later, 2 or 4WD.

19. Mick

from Maine

Yes, but you're going to get stuck with 4wd a lot less than 2wd. Yes, you can plow with 2wd, but with most replies that say they do, there are always conditions. Like, they only plow roads or use municipal trucks. How many regular guys have F800s? If you're going to be plowing like most do, you're going to be better off with 4wd.

I agree that you can plow with 2wd; You can plow with anything, including a lawnmower, bicycle or a Lamborgini using a back plow - in the right circumstances.

20. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

if ur talking f800 or 6 wheelers you don't need 4x4 cause if you got trucks that big you better be plowing corporate centers or shoppings malls and your gonna have 5 tons of salt keeping u down