1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc 366 big block question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chev_4x4, Sep 13, 2014.

1. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Have a 1990 gmc topkick with a 366 big block. Want to change the oil but don't know the oil capacity of it. Looked online several times could not find it. Coming here for all the answers I can't find anywhere else.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

20 quarts if I remember. Or there abouts

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking I'm wrong. I can see the sharpie number, but I'm thinking that's the cat motor trk. Try 10 first

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Start with 8 quarts, see where it is on the stick, add as needed.

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It should have an 8 qt pan. But? Try 6 and see if is on the stick and go from there.

6. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Thank you very much

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not call a GM dealer instead of listening to a bunch of guys on the Internet who aren't all that sure. Just because I'm a good sport I'll play too...start with 7 quarts and go from there

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

are you using a 1 quart or 2 quart filter? they came with both....should be 7 to 8 quarts