1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 2500HD Plow sizes....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROCUTSLAWNCARE, Oct 26, 2006.

1. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE Senior Member

Hey guys. I just bought a Fisher Extreme V. I went with the 9' 6" model and I think it might be to big for the truck.... What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

What cab configuration and bed size do you have?

3. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

if your not driving like an @$$hole and plowing properly i can't see anything wrong with that plow on your truck. you just have to remember it is only a 3/4HD, i believe there is someone n here with a dodge 2500 with extensions on an 8 or 9 foot western that makes his plow 12 feet long....

4. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Thanks for the input guys, keep them coming. My truck is a regular cab long bed, Duramax diesel. I know it will push it, I was just worried about it holding it up. I have timbrens (sp) and I cranked the bars an even 9 turns, so hopefully it will hold up.

Wow is that 9'6" mean looking!!

5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Should be ok, I think. Post some pics.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, you was all right until you got to the Duramax diesel. I'd be real concerned with that much weight in that front end. I was up talking to a friend who owns a repair shop today. He had a 2500HD in there with 40 something thousand on it with a Duramax. Not sure if the guy had used an 8' or 9', but it had spent most of last winter in the shop getting front end components. Timbrens and cranking up bars aren't going to help with the stresses, just keeps it from hitting the bump stops. Hitting the stops would seem to me to be an indication that either the shocks are worn or the front end is overloaded and beyond design limits.

7. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Isnt the duramax only a couple hundred lbs more?

8. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I dont see all the hooplah issues with diesel. Its a 9'6" plow. My buddy has TWO diesel trucks plowing with old, heavy ass plows and NO PROBS what-so-ever.

9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I've got the same config. with my 03. Dmax/Ally on a Reg. Cab Long Bed. I have an 8' HD on there, but I have seen bigger on them. Timbrens are great, but proper ballst is a must. Fisher recommends at least 600 lbs., but I throw close to 1000 lbs. back there. Ratlover (a member on this site and on DieselPlace) used to have a 9.5' Fisher V on his 03 Reg. Cab Duramax with no problems, and that thing was built to run 11's! If you treat it right, you'll be fine.

10. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Hey guys,

Got the new Extreme plow installed today and all I can say is WOW. I was really worried about my truck holding the plow but, so far it looks ok. I will try to post some pics here and on the pic forum.

Thanks for all the input.

Mario

Copy of Picture 275.jpg

11. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

That thing looks huge on there!!!! But it looks good. Good luck with it.