1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 2500HD Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo or Blizzack?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Dec 10, 2005.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD. It currently has stock steel tex and they are horrible in snow. I have a 8' Boss super and it took me 45 min to get up my driveway!

Anyways i was thinking about just getting some blizzacks and switching tires twice a year on stock rims. But then i saw these REvo's and they got good review's on tire rack for snow.

You guys have any experience with either?

2. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Had a set of Blizzacks.. they were great in the snow, but wore out in less than 2 seasons (winter use only).

Do a search on "tires" - you'll find some solid feedback that will help you decide which route to take.

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

yea i did a search. I found one post on Blizack's and none on revo's.

Some reviews on tire rack said the revo's had **** wear also, i guess any decent snow tires wear fast.

Anyways, any personal experience with either is great! thanks!

4. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I've heard a lot of comments about Mastercraft Courser - there made by Cooper, and similar to the Cooper M&S - but their cheaper brand.

Try a seach on ether for user feedback. What I read convinced me to buy those for my 2002 HD, but when I tried to get a set for found they not available locally. They were on regional backorder.

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

what do you run now golden arches?

6. danno

danno Senior Member

I love my GOODYEAR WRANGLER AT/S (SNOW). Deep lugs, siping, self cleaning tread.:D

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Had those on my 2001 HD they are terrible in the snow great in the mud DO NOT get those.The NEW Goodyear Rangler looks like a great tire

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

just looked at the goodyear wranglers on tire rack. THey got real bad reviews. Tire rack rated it at 6.0 for snow. Blizzacks got rated at 9.3 i think and those revo's got a 9.0

9. danno

danno Senior Member

Read the customer reviews. 99% good.

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

all the good reviews for the wranglers are from people with explorers and x-terras. People with pickups didn't like them. from what i could tell anyways

11. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Consumer Reports gave the Blizzaks the thumbs up for snow. I find it curious that the Tire Rack seems to only have Blizzaks in stock. I went with Pirelli Scorpions from Tire Rack back in September. I'f the Blizzaks were available I would have gone with them.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  12. wddodge

wddodge Member

I run the Revos and so far am very pleased with them. I've only got 3-4,000 miles on them so I can't tell you about wear yet but I'm very impressed with them plowing snow. A friend absolutly swears by the Blizzaks but I didn't want a dedicated snow tire. I guess I'm getting too lazy to change back and forth for the snow season.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

IMO the Blizzaks do not give a high enough advantage over any other snow tire to justify the cost. Most of the time $40 more per tire, I've run Mastercraft Glacier Grips/Courser MSR, Firestone Winterforce, Bridgestone Blizzaks all are a step above All Season tires but none really stand out among the group.

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Wrangler ATS on the wifes rig, we have both driven it a lot in snow and it is incomparable. I can't imagine anything working better. I don't know how much of it is the tires and how much is the weight and balance of the truck, but it goes beautiful in the snow. However I met a guy with another Avalanche who took his off because he hated them in the snow. Makes no sense to me, unless he just doesn't know how to drive. I have a friend who worked for a tire store and was real into tires, always knew all the statistics and everything. Hardly a day goes by where he doesn't talk about the Revo. He is convinced that they are by far the best tire on the planet and anyone who doesn't use them is a fool. I just put a set of VIP Multi-mile store brand tires on my 1 ton, nothing special but I have 6 of them and a lot of weight, so I didn't want anything super aggressive anyway. They work fine in the snow, and couldn't beat the price, $80 bucks a piece for a 10 ply tire. They are actually made by Cooper for VIP, just relabeled. I would have put the Goodyear ATS on it but that would have been a lot of money and I couldn't find them in 235/85/16 anyway. All the pickups at work have Cooper Discoverers on them, and they seem to do awesome in all the mud and loose sand on the jobsites we go to, haven't got to try them much in the snow yet but they look like they'd be real good.

15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's because it's spelled B-L-I-Z-Z-A-K

16. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Bridgestone Revo's

I researched tires for awhile and came up with the Revo's. I approached my decision based on traction design and overall looks 2nd. I really liked the revo's tread and new it would perform great in snow. I ordered them a month ago from tire rack and waited until the last minute to mount them prior to snow because i wanted to try them as fresh as possible. Two days ago was our first storm of 12" and i was driving down a slight hill, the roads weren't plowed and there was about 4" of compacted snow under me when I decided to slam on the brakes. Damn, the truck stopped better then when its raining out. I was going around 30mph and i stopped as if i was driving in sand. The fact that i was driving a 96' Dodge Ram Diesel with a 9ft Curtis Plow on it may have helped too. I bought 285-70-16 tires, there a little big perfect. I could drive in that foot of snow with no problems and plow it even better. I only hope they last longer than i usually go through tires, but i will definitely buy another set next year and the years to follow. Buy some REVO's everyone!

17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I second that last post on the Revo's I only have one storm on mine also.I reserched tires for a while and found not only did the Revo's have good reviews and ratings but they look nice also. They are a little expensive but i think its worth a couple extra bucks to get good traction in the snow.

18. sierra02

sierra02 Junior Member

I have the Revo's on a 1/2 ton and I love them. I only have about 10000 miles on them so I don't know much about the wear yet. They seem to be a good tire for plowing and i would probably have blizzaks but I put too many miles a year on for them.

19. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

You found out what everyone one already knew, first time out plowing this year and I was so pissed with the performance of the stock tires:realmad: . I went the next day and bought Cooper M+S, abosolute great tire!!!! I highly recommend, they are also severe weather rated. I had Mastercrap on my 1/2 ton(came with them) and they were horrible. Put some Cooper Discoverer ATRs and they were great also. Take a look at the coopers, the Revos are also very good also, I have a friend that has them and loves them.
    Thanks
    James

20. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member