1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 2500 shock/suspension help or advice needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tregojoe, Jul 12, 2016.

1. tregojoe

tregojoe Junior Member
    from NW WI

Sorry if this has been discussed a zillion times but I'm getting tired of researching this and thought I'd ask the pros.
    I need to replace shocks and maybe do something else up front on this truck.
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 std cab w/ a 6.0 and an 8 1/2 foot boss straight blade. The truck is new to me. It has leaking Firestone air shocks in front and old rusty shocks in back. I don't plow a ton- only 4 or 5 driveways and my business lot that's maybe 12-15,000 sg feet.
    I'm leaning towards Bilstein 5100's and no Timbrens but am really unsure and somewhat confused so was hoping for some direction, thanks.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't need something that expensive.

How bad does it squat with the plow raised
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Shocks and timbrens have different (almost opposite) purposes. If your shocks are shot, just replace them. The Timbrens will help with the squatting. I had the on a '99 Expedition with a Snowsy snd thry were definitely an improvement
  4. tregojoe

tregojoe Junior Member
    from NW WI

Right now the front is a few inches lower than the back without a plow on. The air shocks in front are at zero pounds because one holds air and one doesn't so I aired down the good one to balance things out side to side. I haven't had a plow on the truck for a few months but it does squat some of course with it raised. Just don't have an exact number right now.
    This truck rides like a hay wagon on a rutted road right now.
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Missed the "air" shocks when I read your post earlier.....thought they were plain old shocks
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just replace with what you have now?

I personally do not care for air or anything air in the front when it concerns a snow plow

It throws off the levelness of the A-frame and air changes density with temperature
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

And altitude too......
  8. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Check with Firestone and their warranty. I bought my truck used and it has AirLift brand air suspension on the front, I had a bag that was leaking and contacted AirLift and they sent me a whole new air bag and line.
  9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I think that still has torsion bars. Crank them up 5 turns if the adjuster ain't seized.
  10. tregojoe

tregojoe Junior Member
    from NW WI

Thanks for the info. I am gonna look at the torsion bars before I do anything else. Leaning toward KYB MonoMax at $218 or Bilstein 5100's at $303 for shocks. Bilsteins are only $85 more so in the long run may be worth it.
  11. tregojoe

tregojoe Junior Member
    from NW WI

I measured front and rear and found the front was 1.25" lower (no plow). I also checked tire pressures and actually measured tire height using a level to be sure they weren't a factor. I cranked up the torsion bars a few turns to get everything equal front to rear and left to right. The torsion bar keys still have adjustment left so I'm glad I didn't have to bottom them out.
    Gonna order the Bilstein 5100's and hopefully be done with it.
  12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would go with the Bilstiens

I have ran them on my trucks for years. I run green torsion keys and a 2" longer 5100. Makes for a great ride and gets the front end up enough when the plow is on.
  13. tregojoe

tregojoe Junior Member
    from NW WI

I got the Bilstiens on and the torsion bars adjusted and everything is basically level now (front to rear and left to right). It still rides like a 3/4 ton truck but is much better on washboard roads.
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Put #400lb in the box Over the rear wheels to start with, you can use hay bales , firewood,tractor weights or pull over and shovel in some sand, or what ever lol, ,then add more if needed.
    it will help to smoth oot the washboard road and you can move it back to the talgate and use it as a counterweight for your plow in the winter, when used properly it will take some weight oof oof the front

Reminding you that it's a 3/4 ton pickup.

Ps I'll honk as I pass threw trego tomarrow.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016