1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 2500 HD Vibration / Shaking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sargex595, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sargex595

sargex595 Member

I have a 2005 GMC 2500 HD Extended Cab that has a vibration / shaking thing going on. I first noticed it sometime shorty after I had new Bridgestone Duelers A/T Revo 2 installed. The truck has about 33,000 miles on it. I first noticed that when I looked in drivers side mirror, it was blurry as the truck had a slight shaking situation. The more I drove it, I noticed that when you get up to between 50-60 mph, the front of the truck appears to be shaking and you can feel it in the steering wheel. I doesn't't feel like a vibration but more of a shaking. The shaking you feel in the steering wheel is a up and down shaking, not a back and forth shaking. I did just recently take the truck back to the Firestone Store and had the tires re-balanced, rotated and the front end aligned. They said the balance was off and the alignment was off a little. Nothing they did changed the feeling I'm still getting. I don't do a lot of driving and got the new tires about a year ago and only have few thousand miles on them. Since I don't drive a lot, I wasn't too concerned about it but the more I think about it, the GMC used to ride really nice and if you were to take it down the interstate, the front end would have the slight shaking up and down going on and it shouldn't. Sorry for the long post as it's hard to try and explain what the truck is doing. I would appreciate any suggestions on what might be the cause / cure of it.

Thanks in advance,
    Curt.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

U-Joint.

If that's not the case, I would feel your hubs and make sure none are hot such as a wheel bearing going bad, or quite possibly a dragging brake.

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Could it be the intermediate steering shaft issue? Mine was doing it about two years ago. Felt like a wheel was loose when I was going down the highway- No vibrations in the mirror though. Just a thought.

4. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Yup check the u joints. Maybe a bent rim? Or maybe the tires are just off due to the manufacture. ?

5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

sound like a wheel bearing or stuck caliper

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Lug nuts tight?

Wheel bearing, or maybe a bad tire.

7. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i don't think your hubs should be worn out already, nor should your brakes be malfunctioning.. but anything is possible...

i would deffinatley check your shocks, even though they shouldn't be out either, it sounds like a suspenion issue. the UP/DOWN shake \shouldn't be steering or wheel related, because they aren't responsible fot that job..
    good luck!

8. sargex595

sargex595 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will check into them. I did have the brakes and rotors (front & rear) replaced new (best I could get) about 1 1/2 years ago. I do have to say that the Bridgestone Duelers A/T Revo 2 snow tires are amazing in the snow. I think the truck would stall before the tires would spin.

Curt.