1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc 2500 ext cab vs. crew cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by craigd, Aug 28, 2009.

1. craigd

craigd Member

I'm looking for a little input from you guys. I'm looking at a gmc crew cab, 2500hd, short bed and a chevy ext cab 2500hd. I noticed the front gvw rating is a little higher on the ext cab and i'm assuming this is only because of the wheelbase difference between the two trucks. Is this anything that is going to make a difference in the way the truck carries the plow? It's getting a 7.5 western ultramount in case that matters. Also the chevy has the snowplow prep package and the gmc doesn't. I'm not really too concerned about this because the major difference is the alternator. Any input you guys have here would be appreciated. I can't make up my mind. I'm leaning toward the gmc because the cab is so big.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Just change the alternator if thats your biggest concern. you can buy a 200 amp for about 300

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The FAWR difference is due to the occupant capacity not the wheelbase, not that it's critical either way..

You won't like the 7.6 on a crew cab as they're BARELY enough for an extended cab. So if you do go the CC route you'll likely be looking for a set of wings in short order so be sure to take that into consideration.