1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 2500 ABS problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carlriv2, Jan 21, 2002.

1. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 99 GMC 2500 "new body style" yesterday the ABS system started to malfunction. It sound like an electric motor vibration coming from the unit mounted on the frame rail under drivers floor. I spoke to a friend of mine who said GM is having lots of problems with this system, and they should cover the repair enen out of warrenty. The truck has 42000 miles. I just would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems with this or any part of the ABS on these trucks, before I yell too much.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well my '97 makes all kinds of noise when that stupid abs crap come into play.I hate mine and I had the chance not to buy as an option I would. i have almost gotton into more accidents with it than I ever would have with my '85 with normal brakes. gm has droped the ball with that and many other stuff.

3. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

The electric motor vibration I speak of is not the normal noise that is made when the ABS engages. The noise is a constant sound when the key is on, not only with the engine running. It sounds something like a stick caught in the blower fan for the heater only with much more vibration.

I should also say that my ABS do seem to come on more often than they should and I have had the wheel sensors replaced in 2 trucks, but this is not the same thing.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I seem to remember a recall on mentioned system. Call the dealer.
    Dino

5. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Junior Member
    from ohio

gmc 2500 brakes

they cant just replace a wheel sensor on these as the abs sensor ring is part of the bearing its self

6. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Well I got my abs system fixed.
    GM covered the module that is on the frame under the drivers floor. I paid the labor $150 +/-.

However I was talking to a salesman about buying a new truck when I picked this one up, when I went to leave I put the brakes on and apparently the tech forgot to bleed the system. This was at 5:15 and the service dept wants me to bring the truck back on Monday. They knew how mad I was, and that I 3 trucks in 3 years, but no help with a loaner or anything. I think I may be buying from another dealer this time.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

which dealer was this tey messed up and they would not even give you a lonner for the night.They have to be a bunch of dumbasses.I find that very unaceptable and I would love to let every one know how bad they treated me.

8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

If I were you

I would be sitting in the owners office Monday morning & tell him what happened & see if he can do right by you. Don't go in hotheaded but be very professional & tell him how you have been a long time buyer from his dealership & don't understand how you could be so miss-treated when it was their fault. And you want to be compensated for the weekend with out your rig. You won't get any cash but maybe a reduced bill or something.:)

9. pelican briefs

pelican briefs Junior Member

ABS

don't have a chev, have a ford. i've had trouble with abs too. wish the system was an option. don't ever want them again. 2nd one with abs troubles. I think the arrogance of these dealers is going to do them in. every one i know with a car is going foreign. anyway i feel your pain. i'm also sick of this "can't duplicate problem" bull.