1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Hey guys,

I was cruising craigslist yesterday and saw this ad.

This 2000 GMC 1500 Ext. Cab Z71 is the exact truck that I have at home and have been looking to put a plow on for some time. The one thing I have been worried about with putting a plow on a 1500 is shown in these pictures. There is a ton of front end sag on this truck when they show a pic of the plow up. Now I have cruised this site enough to know that I should crank the t-bars up a few turns, put Timbrens on the front, and ballast in the back, but will that make enough of a difference. It really looks like this truck's back end is up to the sky.

The guy said in the post that this truck is completely stock, so I know this is what my truck would look like without any modifications to the suspension. Do any of you have any pictures of a GMC/Chevy 1500 without any suspension mods (like the one in the post) and then some with the t-bars turned and timbrens in?

Thanks in advance.

2. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Hey Jeremy, I have a 2003 GMC seirra 1500 extra cab with the quadrasteer and I run a 7'5" Western straight blade and I never turned the t-bars up or have yet to put in timbrens. If you pm me your e-mail address I can show you some pics and maybe a vid. I do have timbrens sitting in a box but have yet to put them in. As for weight or ballast as they call it, I only have a plastic shovel in the back and it is still brand new.
  3. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

PM has been sent.

Thanks Noot.
  4. Baitshop

Baitshop Junior Member

FYI, The plow on that truck looks to be a midweight. That plow is relatively light to begin with.

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:)tymusicya want a heavier plow get a heavier truck. Only put light 7.5 blades on a 1/2 Ton. Turn up the t bars so it "sits" better and carries the weight better. Thats what GM put em there for. Add ballast in the back of the box. If the plow weighs 700lbs put close to that in the back. But dont be slamming into banks,cuz that extra weight will work against you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

How can you tell from those pictures that the plow is a midweight? Are there specific things you can look for to tell?
  7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I do not see anything to make someone think it is anything other that a 7 1/2' ultra mount plow. Also, considering that the truck would sit with the back a little higher anyways, it looks fine. Chevys sit a little low in the front normally. Your truck should handle a 7 1/2' plow just fine, crank your t-bars up a little to make it sit level. Add your timbrens, and around 500# of weight and you are good to go. The truck in my sig, has 540# of sand in the back, no timbrens and the bars cranked enough to level it and I have no problems.
  8. Baitshop

Baitshop Junior Member

The midweight IS an ultra mount plow. The picture in the lower right clearly shows what western refers to as the "power bar". It is a tube that runs across the backside of the plow to increase rigidity. It is either a midweight or a pro plus, and a pro plus would most likely not be on a half ton. Go to westerns website for some pics, you'll see what I mean. Just trying to help.

9. packman1973

packman1973 Junior Member

i have a 94 k1500 ext cab with an 8 ft western pro uni mount and have little sag. i put on air lift air cells in place of the old bump stops and it works great . i can get you a part # if you want.
  10. packman1973

you can also use 1999 ford excursion torsion keys as they can bring the front up to 3 inches. good luck
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No you can't. Excursions don't have torsion bars. F150's and Expeditions maybe, and you'll see 1.5-2" maybe, and it's 97.5-03. 2wd GM's use "green keys" and that's what most use, although not the best way to do it either. Your UCA's will bottom out dramatically, not to mention upward travel is lost b/c the shocks get over extended too much.........more to that story another time to those interested.

It's definately a Mid Weight Ultramount, and yes, Timbrens and a few turns of the bars will help dramatically. Also swapping out the t-bars with 3/4 ton ones works good too. I've done it. Torsion bar lengths and knuckle diameter is the same on all models from 1988-2007.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Dat funny right dare LOL
  13. packman1973

i stand corrected. i was told that by a friend. my system seems to work great with the air lift air cells. my truck is a k1500 with an 8ft western pro uni mount with very little sag. ill get a pic out if i can.