1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 86burban, Jan 7, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I saw a truck earlier today and just fell in love. It was an 03 or 04 Sierra 1500 reg cab, short bed, and 4x4 z71. I want to go and look at them, or is it a waste of my time? I dont need or want a huge 3500 diesel crew cab, just a plain truck. I like the looks and sportiness of it, and I can get it with the 5.3. I was wondering if it would be worth it to put a plow on? It can be ordered with the plow prep package. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Tony

2. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

Personally if I was going to buy a new truck to plow with it would not be a half ton! Plow trucks take a lot of abuse in the first place a 2500 or 3500 can take a little more abuse than a 1500! If you are gona invest that kinda money why not spend a little more on something that will show you more return by way of resale or longevity!
    If it is the look you are after don't they have the exact same body style in the bigger rated trucks?

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

depends on the plowing you will do. might want to fill us in on that but.......

I wouldnt get a 1/2 ton. You can get a 3/4(a 2500) or a 1 ton(2500HD or now a heavyier 1 ton in a 3500SRW) Unless you are going to tow big or put a spreader in it there is no reason to go with a DRW(most 3500's) Chevy did wierd things with thier names a few years ago. A 2500 used to be a 3/4 ton....now if you look at a 2500HD its the same capacity as a old 1 ton.

Anywho......for plowing a reg cab is more desirable since the extra cab puts more weight on the front end(but you can still plow with a ex cab) The only thing you cant get with the bigger trucks is a short bed reg cab :( Past that you can get one just as loaded as a 1/2 ton but it will have beefier parts and a bigger motor standard. The 6.0 is a running MF and the 8.1's are really mean. Diesel is an option to look at if you will be towing or just want one. A 6.0 has more than enough power to push snow(as does a 5.3 for that matter) A diesel has a higher buy in cost but better resale and most people say that in fule savings it will pay for itself in 80k or so. Plus they are pretty bad assed in stock form and easy to hop up. I've got a box on my truck that alters the computer. Cost me 800$ and literlay took less than 5 minutes to install and i went from 300hp to 425. Not bad huh :nod:

Anyway with a bigger truck you get a stronger trany(biggest thing IMO for longevity) a better rear end, heavier duty fram and other components plus the front end is beefier and you get to run a bigger plow.

Always plan for the future though.....if you think you might expand dont be hampered by the truck you bought. And buy what you want even if its a few more $$$'s since you will be stuck with it.

And also dont figure on making any money plowing snow into the equation of if you can afford it.

And another tip.....if you can buy the plow outright(or anyother accesrory for that matter like sidesteps or a spray in bedliner) and are going to need to finance it you might as well roll it into the truck financing since the interest rates are so low. I told the dealer "ok I'll buy it but only if you finance the plow with it." Got a plow at 1.9% interest for 6 years :cool:

4. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I thought that it was easier with a smaller truck (better visibility, maneuvering, and so on). My neighbor has me doing small jobs for him (A few bar lots, 2 small grocery stores, and part of a Sears lot). My truck has power but it is a stick and it is a pain in the butt to get huge piles going w/o killing the engine. He himself is using his K5 and an 00 1500 ext cab shortbed with the 5.3. He isnt having any trouble moving all the snow, even the ice that it has become. I do like the looks of the 1500, thats why I want it. I would like the opinion of someone who has used one or is using one now to see his/her thoughts.

Thanks,

Tony

5. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Hey Ratlover,

I was reading your input on the new ratings for the Chevy/GMC trucks. Good info. I knew the GVW was up on the HD, but not aware that was the same as previous 1 tons. I do have a question for you about your truck. How does this box give you 125 HP? I have heard of computer mods and reprogramming ETC., But how does it give you that much more power? If so cheap cost for big performance. Do you have the Duramax? Didn't quite follow which motor you had, since you mentioned all 3.

6. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

every one is right but if you want the half ton you will have no problems yes they come with plow pacage.

now i want to break balls a little to some of these people not you.

it occures to me that most of you ar e very fickle just a few weeks ago someone had a thread titled whats the best plow truck.most of us agreed that is was a jeep because of how small it was here this guy wants a half ton truck and you say no to small.if this half ton is to small than why reccomend a jeep.you guys should watch what you write because some homeowners take this stuff seriosly and now they will be all messed up.

so i think this is what should be said...the bigger the truck the better it will handle the pressure of pushing snow however the smaller the truck the more monoverability it has to get in and out of tight places.

7. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

My trucks keep getting smaller and smaller. All I do is residential driveways and I like the maneuverability.

8. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

9. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

"86" I plow with a 1/2 ton ext. cab 2000 GMC with a 5.3 and a Fisher RD MM2. It pushes the snow just fine!, Also I like the ride of the 1/2 ton, I commute over 100 miles to work (one way). , go down and stay for 2 days then have 4 off!. I have read at least a hundred opinions in these threads regarding 1/2 tons, we all have our own opinion. My neighbor has been plowing for 10 winters with a Chevy 1/2 ton ext cab, has had ZERO problems with it. Depends on how well you take care of you equipment. I also tow a 32ft trailer with the half ton. I do residential only. IF you NEED a bigger truck and a lot LESS gas mileage get the 3/4 ton.
    Cant get the 5.3 in a 3/4 ton. good luck choosing a truck

2000 GMC 1500 Z71 ext. cab Fisher RD MM2 (fish stick control)

Only person that makes money with a plow???.... A new Plow dealer!!!payup

10. ratlover

from IL

Yes I have a duramax. Newer diesels have alot of performance potential with out getting into the motor.

A 1/2 ton will look the same as a 3/4 ton except you cant get a reg cab short bed in a heavier truck. They will have the same available creature comforts for the most part. The new chevy trucks ride very well(the dualies kinda bounce unloaded) A short bed pick up will be a tad more manuverable than a long be just beecause of the wheel base. My reg cab long bed 2500HD turns the same as a reg cab long bed 1500

There is no "perfect plow truck" A small a jeep with a 6.5 blade in a big parking lot with 6" of snow on the ground and see if it out pushes a 550 with a 8611 blizzard. Now stick the same 2 rigs doing res drives. The 550 might still do the same job faster but you will assasinate some bushes in the mean time. Yes the jeep will get the job done in the big lot but its not the best tool for the job. There is no one tool for every job(short of a BFH) You need to decide what is right for you. If you know all you will be doing is some light residental and thats it then a 1/2 ton will work fine and you wont have the added buy in cost. If you are thinking that you might like to expand later in a few depending on how stuff goes then bigger would be a wise idea IMO. I would not worry about the motor of a plow truck being enough. Even the 4.8 will have enough guts to move snow. The reason for the biger truck is for extra weight capacity. Meaning you can have a bigger blade, you can run a spreader with the back of the truck full of salt and not be over or maxing out the weight capacity of the truck. And most importantly you will get beefier parts. The most important for towing and plowing being the trany. Plus upgraded and HD everything else. Or its a case of if you flat out want the bigger truck. Do I need a duramax for what I do? Nope, a 6.0 would have done me fine but I wanted the diesel.

Anything will work and there are lots of people that do what ever with such and such and have 0 problems. I believe there is a pick of a guy here or on another page that shows his durango with 50 bags of salt in the back. Work in a pinch? Yes. right and lucky that something didnt happen, you be the judge. I just done like to push the envelope of my trucks capabilities.

Its what is best for you, a 1/2 ton may be more than enough truck for you, it depends on what you will be doing. Even if what you do exceed what a 1/2 ton should really be doing it will still work. Its just a case of using a screw driver when you really should be using a prybar.

1 ton here with 425hp knocking down 20mpg :p

no idea whay a SRW 3500 dosnt have aplow prep?

11. ratlover

from IL

and for the record I always stick to the Tim the Tool Man way of thought. More POWER and Bigger is better *insert grunting here* :D

12. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Thats the thing. I want something that will fit in the garage and still leave the plow on it. I dont need a huge truck. Gas mileage would kill me. I dont like the extra maintenance of the diesels either. I figure that the 1500 would do me fine as long as I dont do all huge lots. Ill bet that the 1500 would be fine to do a few big lots here and there. I dont plan on doing Walmart and Huge shopping mall lots, I need a small truck to do the bar lots and the 7-11 lots.I think the 2500 and 3500's would be overkill, besides, I dont like the looks of the new 2500+ series, they look like the avalanche (yuck).

Tony

13. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Without the plow on I am getting 18.5 mpg on the hi-way. 20 when I behave myself :) GMC 1500 5.3 Z71 ext. cab (2000)

14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

86burban

What is all the debate about? You want a 1/2 ton Z71, go and buy it. Doing small commercial jobs that you described the 1/2 ton will be fine. I run a 91 Z71, 5 litre engine, 5spd standard with a Blizzard 7'6" Lt plow. This plow weighs 550 lbs. and made lighter for 1/2 tons. Do not get a heavier plow. If you want a heavier plow then you will have to get a 3/4 ton truck. Right plow for the right truck is the rule. It's that simple.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  15. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

1/2 TON'S RULE

I always used heavy duty beater plow trucks. I was given an old beater Std cab-SB with a 7.5 Western last year and after finding it a refreshingly manueverable and plenty strong enough to handle any storm we get in the Hudson Valley I bought a 1/2 ton - 4.3/V6 5spd - standard cab- short box. It basically is the lightest duty truck that I feel can handle a full size standard plow. Even though GM won't put a plow prep on either standard shift or V6 trucks or is it trucks under $30K . The other 95% of the time I drive without the plow it is a light, small truck and with the 5Spd it is "sporty" compared to my old rigs .

You are what you drive PB:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I wanted opinions from guys who had 1500s, not the guys who hd huge 2500's plus. What their experiences were, if it was worth it or not. If I dont hear anything good, I'll forget about it.

Thanks,

Tony

17. easthavenplower

i have the 2000 chevy 1500 4.7 vortec engine 7.6 meyers plow do decent size lot 200 feet long by 100 feet wide no problem

18. easthavenplower

sorry the size was supposed to be in yards

19. ratlover

from IL

Buy what you want and think will do what you need. All chevys and GMCs have the exact same body regardless of if its a 1/2 or a 1 ton. The only thing thats different is that the heavier trucks is that the frame is taller so it kinda looks like they have a body lift from the factory. A short bed reg cab 1/2 ton has a wheelbase of close to 10'. A long bed reg cab 1/2 ton has a wheelbase of 11'. The long beds turning radius is a hair under 4 inches more than a short bed. A long bed reg cab 2500HD has the EXACT same dimensions as a 1/2 ton long bed reg cab in regards to lenght and turning radius. I'm not trying to change your mind, I could care less what you get, I'm just trying to give you all the facts.

On the freak out of milage in a bigger truck. Do some rough calcs of what you will drive and what it would cost you a year. Even be conservitive and really give the big truck the dissadvantage and figure a 6.0 getting 4-5 mpg less than a 5.3. It might supprise you at the actual cost. I am getting a honest to goodness 15mpg +-1 averagecity highway, 20 highway. This is the good old count the number of gallons and divide by the milage way of figuring. This is at 7000# and with all the HP. I do drive a bit aggresivly......I am in need of tires soon since I have em on the wear bars......well just the backs actually......did I mention I have about 11k on em?

I have a 100k warantee on the motor. I could fix an old smallblock like its no ones buissness but I have trouble finding the dipstick after they changed from the vortec 350's. If you can honestly work on the new computer controlled gassers then your better than me. All the new motors have all kinds of funky widgets and are geting difficult to work on. A diesel aint for every one, especially with the 4k extra it will cost you, I'm not trying to tell you to buy one.

If you are thinking of getting into comercial stepping up to a heavier blade(like a V) that will move more snow will make you more productive and give you the ability to make more $$$. If its just a I'll do the quicky mart and some res drives for extra $$$ and the fun of it then this isnt a big issue but if you are out to make the most $$$ as possible then being as efficent as possible makes more $$$. This IMO were the decision of to buy a bigger truck or not comes into play. Bigger the truck the heavier the blade. The more snow you can move more quickly. In res it isnt as big of a deal but in lots it is.

The new hookups are a snap. It takes longer to hook up my 3 electrical conections than the plow itself on my fisher MM2. Most new plows are like this so you dont have to run around 1/2 the year with that sucker hanging off your truck.

Good luck! Let us know what you get and what your thoughts are for a plow. I like V's for medium sized work but it might be a bit much for what you decide you want to do.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  20. ratlover

from IL

I've been in all kinds of stuff and seen big trucks/small trucks/BIG trucks/loaders/bobcats all going at it.

A 1/2 ton will work. You wont have the ability to run as heavy of a blade but it might not be an issue.

I've known lots of people to plow for a long time with 1/2 tons and do it sucessfully. They just cant move as much snow as fast as someone in the bigger truck/blade combo.

Its all what you want to do. Mostly res and small comercial and a 1/2 will do fine.

I just dont like these for the most part and prefer medium/large comercial since they arnt as much of a PITA to do IMO and I found I make better $$$ in these lots.

With the bigger is better approach, My only point is if you decide to go into bigger lots your truck will do it but you will just be better off in the long run in a bigger truck.

Just trying to give you all the facts I can think of and you can decide......

I dont mean to sound like I'm pushing a bigger truck.....dont care one way or another, just trying to help you make an informed decission.