1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc 1500 vs gmc 2500 light snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kirby ent, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I have a fairly heavy plow (700 Lbs) on my sierra 2500 that i want to hang on my 1500 regular cab, short box..
    I know the manufacture and all of you do not recommend the plow for the 1500 but this truck will only be operated by me on light snow falls. We use tractors the majority of the time. I want the 1500 plow setup for some condos we do. I need the small turning radius and short box which you cannot get in a 2500 series truck or F250 truck. I will put in a lift kit and air shocks to take out the sag ? This truck will only be operated with care by me and on light snow falls only.
    Thanks Mike
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Crank t-bars a little bit (if you want), throw some timbrens in there and GO! Expect front end parts to wear a little quicker but if you use it like you say then go for it. Company around here runs 8ft Fisher HD's on their half-ton foremans trucks all year. Other people might say, well there's going to be that one heavy storm where you use that truck anyway, and then stuff will break, well, that's up to you to follow your own rules for what the truck is used for.
  3. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

There are no tbars om 2011 1500 though.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

even with new shocks and a lift kit its still a 700 Lb plow on a half ton but for just small storms and if you dont have the plow on it all the time you should be fine
  5. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i dono man. call me a noob, but i disagree with the whole never plow with a half ton thing. i see more half ton trucks pushing snow than anything else.

as mcw said, up your suspension a little. use timbrens or whatever you need to lift your front end as you will lose a few inches.

the rack, tie rods, tie rod ends and ball joints are going to be the same on a 1/2 vs 3/4 (correct me if im wrong) so the only real difference between the 2 trucks is the engine size, which doesn't matter for plowing, and the suspension.

your only issue is holding the plow in the air. there are many products that will tighten your suspension.
  6. threecaptains

threecaptains Junior Member

i have a 90 gmc standard cab shortbox with a 7.5 meyer with pro wings on it that i hae used for many years in heavy or lite snow the turning radius is great i have had no problems with my set up and on most occasions moved the same or more snow than other heavier trucks with strait or v plows wont be tradiing this unit off for awhile
  7. birddseedd

i blame the wings.

you shoudl give scoop extensions a try once. you may be surprised as to how well they work
  8. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

This is very much incorrect, the steering gearbox, tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints are almost always larger and heavier duty on a 3/4 ton truck, along with the frame, axles, differential carrier, transfer-case, suspension, brakes, and often times the transmission. Furthermore, in most cases the gas engine options over lap between 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

There is no question 3/4 tons are more suited to plow, but that being said, for the first two years of plowing I used my 1/2 ton and it did fine, even for the heavier snows. Now I use my 3/4 ton and use my 1/2 ton as a backup.

You won't have any problems plowing with a 1/2 ton, especially light snows, just be smart about it. Although I think you'll be tempted to use it on heavier snows since that is when you need the most help and want extra equipment running.
  9. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

700 lbs is a heavy plow for a 1/2 ton front end. Heavier plow means more ballast should be run in the back. Might add a leaf to the rears. But I agree with others, it is very workable with some mods to the suspension to take out the sag so you can push over curbs. The suspension mods will not increase the carrying capacity of the front end, so expect more maint. in the long run. Something else to consider...Does it affect your 2011 warranty on the truck?
  10. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

Why not just look for a used lighter duty plow for it? Thumbs Up
  11. birddseedd

eh. all he needs to do is upgrade the suspension a tad bit. maybe add 5-800 lbs in the back. but to be honest i dont see anyone doign that either if they have 4x4
  12. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

I'm not saying it wont work but its always better to have a plow matched to the right size truck, like i would never put a 10 foot hd plow on my truck it wouldn't be wise. He also mentioned
    air bags and that stuff adds up real quick. Much easier to find a lightly used plow made for that size truck.
  13. birddseedd

yes it will be easier I agree. but easier does not get the job done.

you can upgrade the suspension to be as strong as a bigger truck. frankly my old c10 could hold as much weight as a 3/4 ton. grandpa really beefed up the rear end. I regret getting rid of that truck.
  14. birddseedd

as far as price goes, airbqgs are quite expensive. but not as expensive as a new truck. but getting the work done he has can earn the cash to get w bigger truck.
  15. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i dont care how much mods you do to your truck 5 lug is 5 lug ........
  16. birddseedd

you mean rim and tire size?
  17. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yep ask any real mach and they will tell you 5lug axle will hold no weight
  18. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

PLEASE refrain from EVER giving advice on PS again. Very bad information!

1) There is a big difference between a 3/4 and a 1/2ton as far as front end parts

2) Timbrins wont lift your truck up, they will prevent it from squatting

3) There is a big difference between your grandpa's C10 and a new 1/2 ton.

4) 5 Lug referes to the nuber of lugs... although I am fairly sure a 2011 1/2ton is a 6lug still.

With that said you have the right idea though. It wont make an ideal plow truck but it will get the job done. Timbrens and a little weight in the back.

What kind of plow is it? There are atleast a couple guys on PS that can give you first hand experience with a new style half ton and larger plows. I
  19. birddseedd

was not comparing the two. only the amount of weight that could be held in the bed.

i advice that a 1/2 ton will get the job done. you tell me im wrong. and then tell him that a 1/2 ton will work. really? you just want to ridicule me jsut for the sake of ridiculing me. weather what you say makes sense or not....
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  20. birddseedd

btw, my friends older half ton siverado has an 8 lug..... and he did not have to buy a new truck to have it. (somewhere around 8 lugs. i didnt really count them when putting the lift on it)