1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gmc 1500 gas vs Diesel for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 26, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hi,

I am looking at a GMC 1500 for landscaping and plowing. Now I see that many don't recommend 1500's for plowing but would a diesel hold up any better? Also what are the advantages to diesel to gas? How many miles or Km do they last?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

2500 diesel is heavier built than a 1500. Because they don't put a diesel in a 1500.

As for the diesel. Lower fuel cost. Designed to last for ever. Hemi 250K max on the miles. Cummin 500K before a rebuild, there are many that have over a million miles on them. (there is a club believe it or not)

3/4 diesel 4x4 is the min size of a truck you should be looking at if you want to plow commerically.

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I went from a 99 GMC 1500 to a 2500 GMC diesel. There is no comparison as for how effortless the truck pushes. I loved my old truck but I love my new one twice as much. It sips fuel but you'll pay a lot more for the diesel truck. be where the engine is heavy so check what blades are recommended before you purchase one. Good luck!