1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gmc 1 ton dump 2wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Newnamlawn, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

I have an early 80's 3500 flatbed dump with a gas engine and manual tranny. I was wondering if there was any way to convert it to 4wd. I would be happy to have locking manual hubs. Thanks for the help.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Can it be done, sure can.Is it fessable, all depends on mechanical skill, and time allotment. You will need a donor truck for all the components, and also to measure all the mounting locations.
    If it was me, I would buy a one tone 4x4 chassis that has a bad body on it, and then just swap cabs. In the long run it would be alot less work.
    All the 2wd front suspension needs to be removed. Steering box needs to be removed, and a 4x4 unit swapped in. You will need front axel, with same gear ratio as your current rear axel,and all related steering components. You will need front leaf springs, and realted hangers and shackels. You will need to drill and bolt on all sping hanger brackets. That is why you need the donor 4x4 for these measurements. You will need matching tranny and t case and related driveshafts. You will also need linkages for both.
    As I mentioned if you find a donor frame to get all the parts from, just swap the cab on to it. It really is alot less work.
    Dino

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been down this road, and while it seems a cheaper route to go, in the long run you'd be better off selling your truck and getting what you want already built up. Unless you can get the 4x4 components for free, you'll have more tied up in it than the truck will ever be worth.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, just looking to save you some time, money and headaches.

I did a frame off restoration of my '81 F-350 and got 6 more years out of it, but someone ran into it and it was totaled. The insurance company only offered $1800 for it when I had sunk over $6000 into it. It was still just a 20 year old truck to them.

4. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

i have a friend that owns a junk yard so finding parts for free is no prob. Is there a website somewhere that can help me do this. Like list evrything i will nedd and some intructions on how to do it. I am a expercined wleder and techian so doin it is not a prob. I just want some insight to what all it intails. Thanks

5. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

if i was to make a truck liek that i think id find a 4x4 truck or chassis and swap bodies if need be and swap the rear out for a 14 bolt FF and put duallies on that and swap off the front spindles for 3/4 ton ones or find a dana 60 but they are big money right now unelss you get lucky and know a yard real well or find a parts truck cheap thats a K30 or got a K30 front axle(dana 60) theres a couple 1 ton dually dumptrucks/chassis-cabs sitting around in this area i want to try and get one when i can,

just my $.02

good luck