1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gm Water Pump, is it hard to do?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roblandscape, Jan 12, 2004.

1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Ok I have a 1988 Gmc 2500 6.2 Diesel 4x4, Anti freeze started puddling from the water pump area, and then the heat only worked when the truck was going 30mph or more, Does this sound like my water pump is bad? If so how hard is this to do? I have installed my own starters before. Thanks Alot, Tim

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Tim I did one on my old truck last winter,not hard to do.You should not have any problems.

Regards Mike

3. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Tim,
    I can't help you with your water pump question, but I was wondering what kind of track record you've had with your 6.2 Diesel. I am looking at a C3500 with 150K miles. I was interested in what kind of problems you've had with yours?

Thanks,
    Justin

4. roblandscape

from Phila

The motor does not have much pulling power but is very reliable, I have 130,000 miles on this motor and have never had any problems

5. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

not bad at all to change less stuff to take off then other trucks

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's only hard if you make it hard. :waving:

7. roblandscape

from Phila

Thanks for the input BOSS:rolleyes:

8. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

your welcome:D

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Rob,
    wasn't trying to be a smart---, all I'm saying is if you take your time and take the old one off, remebering where everything goes, and then take your time and put the new one on, it will go smoothly.:D Based on past experiences, if you get in a hurry or upset, 9 times out of 10, you'll have a hard time. Good luck:waving:

10. roblandscape

from Phila

yeah I know

11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Pretty close to doing a Chevy V8 water pump. Block off about 5 hours from the time you start draining the coolant to the time you re-fill. As long as you have a comfortable place to work, it will be pretty easy!

BTW - I've owned two of these 6.2L diesels. Not a lot of extra power, but they are durable motors. Plus the mileage is great. What year is your truck? 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton? Looking to sell it?

:drinkup: