1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM truck applications for plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Nov 25, 2001.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I downloaded the 2001 fisher snowplow application guide today and a few things caught my attention.
    On the Gm 1500 HD crew cab with 6.5' box, they will allow up to 9' HD-M plow to be installed with 400 lbs rear ballast.
    On the C and K-3500 chassis cabs, and K-3500reg cab pick ups,all the way up to a 9'6" v plow is ok.
    On the fords F-250 reg cabs with 5200 FAWR any engine up to a 8.5' v plow
    On crew cabs with 5200 axle, same plows are available but not with diesel. No diesel applications listed in crew cabs.
    On x cabs with 5200 axle, with 5200 axle same plows in gas. Diesel limited to 8' HD-L with 7' box. Diesel limited to 7.5'RD-L with 8' box.
    In F-350 trucks
    No diesel applications listed with crew cabs. Gas engines same as F-250
    Reg cabs diesel limited to 8' RD-L, gas engines same as F-250
    X cabs show no diesel applications
    Same plows available with gas engines.
    Chassis cabs show all plows available up to 8'6" v plow with gas or diesel.
    2500 series
    Shows only 7.5'RD-L for any diesel equiped truck reg cab or quad cab
    Gas engines show all plows available up to 8.5' v plow in any cab configuration.
    3500 series
    shows no diesel application in pick ups
    gas engines same plows as 2500 series
    Chassis cabs all engines any plow up to 8.5' v plow.
    I just think its interesting how the truck that many here claim to have the weakest front ends, are able to carry the biggest plows.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

only thing i can think of is that chevy paid for the printing of the application guides for fischer.

on a real note though that brings up a very interesting point to which i have no real answer.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

All I Know if that any F 350 Regular cab gas or diesel will handle and weigh in on the scales corectly with a 9' straight blade on.

My trucks recently went through an "inspection" from our insurance companies. High risk trucks were weighed with equipment on. Insurance companies label 1 ton trucks as high risk, this is true for Ford, Chevy and dodge. This is because a 1 ton dump with a sander and plow, is almost at its max GVW. When they visited us, they looked at our 1 ton dumps, and a few pick ups, and also looked at some big trucks.

I have never had an audit like this, however I always told my agent he was free to look at the fleet anytime.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Interesting specs from Fisher.

(I still don't understand why a 50lb. plow increase makes a difference, but a 700lb. diesel doesn't.)

I always have had a lot of confidence in GM front in terms of durabilty and capacity. We've had great sucess with ours. I feel the CV joints are less maintenance than standard axle u-joints in Ford and Dodge.

I just wish the GM front was HIGHER. Especially with bigger V-plows, the ends of each wing seem to drag too much.
  5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

wow! That's realy interesting.

I'd like to know where GM got those numbers. Did they switch to leaf springs and a Dana 60 up front on the half ton. My 2500 sags pretty good with a 71/2' blade, with 925 lbs hanging on the font of a 1500 I cant see not bottoming out if you hit a decent bump in the road. I've actualy heard stories from people here who have put a 9' plow on a 1500 and the frame took a beating from bottoming out. ON the other hand I could see the 3500 HD chasis with the I-beam up front carying the 9'6" V.
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

No, No, the 1500HD has a 2500HD Chassis. Just Double Cab.
  7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard a lot of people bash the whole IFS idea... but I have yet to hear of any actual problems with it. I've had very good luck with it... and I know of some others that have been plowing for years with it, and have had no abnormal problems as well. Pitman arms, and idler arms on the other hand are a different story...
  8. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Dodge applications

Fisher specs only the 7.5ft RD "L"series for any diesel equipped xcab Ram.

HOWEVER....The new "M" series MM2 lists any blade including the 9ft is OK on the diesel 2500 xcab. But not a Vplow. If you look at the assembly weights on page 5, you will see the weight difference betweens these blades is not that much. The 8ft "L" series is 806lbs, and the 9ft "M" series is 745 with the MM2. This would make you believe the extra 50lbs is putting you over the FAWR. The 8.5 V is spec'd @ 859lbs.

Also remember Dodge includes 300lbs for occupants.

I think part of the reason Fisher has come out with the new "M" series MM2 is specifically for these new Xcab/crew cab diesel trucks. They have lightened up the assembly by ~100lbs to meet FAWR. Many diesel trucks(read Ford/Dodge), were not "legal" with a plow(FAWR).

I also noticed the GM 1500 HD has an increased FAWR. It is now 4410#'s instead of 3925#'s.

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes with the m series plow the dodge can take up a 9'. I missed that page when posting above.
  10. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

My local Western/Boss dealer quoted 8.5' straight plows ONLY for a 2002 Chevy 350O C&C(flat bed dually)w/Duramax. For different reasons I've chosen a Snoway 9' straight blade. The lower weight made me less concerned about over working my front end after talking to the local "expert".It was about 525 pounds total as I recall.
    Was going for the Western but after reading the advice about service after the sale, The dealer was closed on weedends and after 5 on weekdays, I went with the Snoway dealer, open 24/7 during storms.
    This site is great.

11. plowking35

from SE CT

Fisher says up to a 9' HD-M for that chassis cab, and anything up to a 9'6"EZV including a HD-L. Funny thing is that truck only has a 4800 gawr. So the front end weight must be lower than dodge or ford. A better balanced truck over all I would guess.
    The 9'6" ezv is a beast weighs in at 1049 plus attachemnt kit.
    In the M class plows, even on ford trucks just about any config, you can put a plow, including 250 crew cabs. But once you get into the L series plow, alot of restrictions. Yet on the Gm the L series plows are fair game. Just an observation, not a brand war.
  12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

application chart

where'd you get that application chart and do the pitman and steerring arms really go out that much on the gm 1500's
  13. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I don't know where Fisher came up with the numbers
    Fords plow package on the F250 & F350
    says 750 pounds
    now I know that they will hold more
    and a fisher 8 1/2 V is 859
    who's going to warrenty it (the Truck)
    Fisher or Ford
    I mean where did they get there numbers from?
    It wasn't from Ford and the truck can hold a bigger plow
  14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think Ford sasy 750 lbs,so the front axle of the truck,(5200) is not exceeded.If you use ballast then usually you can get away with a little heavier plow.I would think a reg cab,4x4,5.4 V8 would be able to handle(F250,350),a 860 lb plow withouit trouble,but with a diesel,excab,or both the weight piles up quickly.
  15. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

I think Ford went conservative on the front end numbers, I run a 99 F250 SD Extended Cab SB with the PSD with a set of timbrens, hanging off the front is an 8'2" Boss V , of course more times than not I have a salt spreader hanging on the back and 3500# of salt in the bed and have had no problems as of yet. Even just running with the plow on, the front end sags very little, maybe 1"
  16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

J&J,Ford needs to cover their you know whats,they cant recommend you overload your truck,then they would be liable if you got in an accident with it.I have 9'2" Boss on my 2000 Dodge quad cab /Cummins,and usaully 2500-3000 lbs in the back in the spreader,my truck hardly notices the weight,its still overloaded though.Gm's can take that plow legally,thats the difference,
  17. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 23, 2002
  18. sonjaab

19. sonjaab

GUYS, The above address has all the info. on
    plow specs, max plow weights, wiring , aux roof
    light, relays etc. on 99 and
    up GM trucks. You will need the Acrobat reader .
    I had to print one out to give to my western dealer.
    Sorry 'puter on fritz yesterday.
    PRAY for more snow !.......................Geo