1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gm tranny

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Dec 27, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have an older 92 3/4 ton truck but my driver blew reverse and overdrive. So it's time to replace the tranny. My question is this I'm assuming there is a 4l60e in the truck not sure how to tell a 60e and a 80e thats my first question. And if it is a 60e is it major construction to put a 80e in the hole instead? 80e is a stronger/better tranny anyway.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Google it. There is a site that shows the transmissions in picture form.

I used for a demo car this past summer.

3. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Now that I think about 60e came the half tons and 80e came in 3/4 and up. Did some more research it looks 80e had 17 bolts on the pan and the 60 had 16.

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

What about a turbo 400 I thought my 94 has a turbo 400 ??

6. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

4l80e is the electric version of the turbo 400. Or so I have researched. They started this in like 91 or so

7. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

4l80e is the electric version of the turbo 400. Or so I have researched. They started this in like 91 or so

8. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Could be a th400 or 4l80e. Is it a 3sp or 4spd auto? 3spd is a th400. Either is a really good trans and very inexpensive to rebuild. The 4l80e is based on the th400 but has overdrive.

9. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

fire the driver!..lol....prob shifting before coming to a complete stop!

11. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Well I was watching the guys from another lot all were doing ok. This the kids first year plowing it seems like he is in a hurry. I told him take your time don't beat the **** out truck your piad by the hour I would rather pay a few extra hours than pay for broken equipment. He was flying around in reverse kinda ticked me off. Than I got the call about the tranny so it was to late to school him about equipment but he got an ear full at the shop. It pissed me off cause I plowed with the truck for 4 years not a single problem but I do plow like a grampa haha