1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Tow Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bolake, Mar 22, 2016.

1. bolake

bolake Senior Member

2015 GMC 2500HD Had up grade to factory GM tow mirror at GM dealership. They are heated, power, turn signal, marker lights, also have the 2 clear small lights that are in the outside mirror frame that shine to the back of the truck. The 2 lights turn on with the cargo box lights. Mine go off when you go from park to reverse. Others have said there's stay on with the cargo light switch on and put in reverse. Anyone have any information on this?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What?

I guess the better question is why do you want them on in reverse? :confused:

3. Those mirrors weren't an option until halfway through the '15 model year. I couldn't get them on mine. That's why you see some of those trucks referred to as 2015.5

4. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

My understanding is they were available with "2015.5" and beyond. When cargo lighting is enabled they come on when in reverse. Mine work as advertised, but are worthless plowing because of my stake body. Nice for other situations in the yard, shop, etc.

OP I am not sure why yours do not. If I follow, you had them installed after original purchase. Correct?

5. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

They are factory LED reverse lights, in the mirrors. They are bright.:nod:

6. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

yes they only come on in park or reverse. they are BRIGHT. they kick ass when backing up a trailer. i love them.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My truck is a 2015.5 it came in with the std mirrors they added the early version trailer mirrors they have heat and power adjust but turn signal does not work . I wanted the one that comes now but seams like it will not work or just be a plug and play type deal .

8. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

that is correct...before i bought the truck i tried buying another one that came with the older tow mirrors and i told them if they swapped mirrors id buy the truck. they wouldnt bite. between the runninglights and backup lights they said it was too expensive.

9. Philbilly2

Let me get this right... it is a LED backup light... in the mirror... and how exactly does this help with backing up a trailer?

Aren't you looking at the mirror? Wouldn't that dilate your eyes and cause you to loose some of your night vision?

I just can't wrap my head around how a rearward facing bright light on a mirror would do anything but hinder your vision...:confused:

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It's angled straight back, not towards you.

[​IMG]

11. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Yes had them installed after purchase. Found out like posted here, mine is a early built(bought Aug 2014) That's why mine won't work in reverse.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You could probably wire them to your reverse light signal. Not hard to do

13. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Would you have a link or some other information for how to do.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

No it's the same principle as wiring in back up lakes. Maybe a Chevy specific forum would have it. Tow mirrors always seems to be a big mod after a year or so

15. I purchased mine in July of '14. Did the mirrors you got just plug and play and what features do they have? Power folding? Where did you get the mirrors and at what cost? Thanks!

16. Philbilly2

Angled but straight back... interesting concept Will :laughing:

I guess I will have to see it first hand to get it. For some reason this concept seems like wiping before you poop to me. I guess I have never thought of having lights up by your line of site helps for backing up. Thumbs Up

17. bolake

bolake Senior Member

GM dealership install genuine GM mirrors through them. All features except power fold. Only thing is my rear back up lights only works with cargo light on and in park because of mine is early built. They said no harness available to change to 15.5 models where the light stays on when in reverse. Mirrors $900plus 3 wire harness $300

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Probably helps a lot with tinted windows.

19. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Swing by your local dealership and take a look.

20. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member