1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM torsion key removal tool

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by William B., Jan 9, 2012.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Anyone know of where a person could rent one of these at? Oriellys here doesn't rent one and I really don't want to buy one for a 1 or 2 time use.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ball joint press tool works in a pinch if you got one or you can rent at autozone

3. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

dude if you were closer i would let you use mine. i paid like 75 bucks for mine.

you get in a real jam sometimes you can rig a "C" clamp to do the same job.

4. contractor078

i should say a screw style C clamp.

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I bought one on Amazon a few weeks ago and it only took a couple days to get it. I got the Kent-Moore, It was around a hundred bucks.

Did you buy new XG bars? If so where did you get them? Everywhere I called said that GM is backordered on one of the bars and doesn't have an expected date.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

not sure how far I am from you, but I have one you are welsome to.

7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

My problem with this is I've heard to many horror stories of them slipping off or breaking and people getting hurt.

I'm just looking to put a set of green keys in my truck. Damn Tbars have settled and I'm tired of the nose down look.

I'm about 3 1/2hrs SW of you just on the Iowa side of the river.

8. contractor078

9. Philbilly2

10. jimv

jimv Senior Member

Don't not use c clamp they cant handle the pressure

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Using a ball-joint press is a safe way to do this, at least IMO, I have done it many times with several vehicles without any problem. I definitely would not use a C-clamp

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

After watching a friend swap the from the stock keys to the green keys on my truck I would NEVER trust a C clamp. The ass puckering factor of that is like a million on a ten scale.
    Ball joint press maybe but even then...

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Yes they can slip off and hurt people. Had a guy have one slip with the impact gun on it and it slammed his and between concrete floor and impact gun. Pretty ugly looking break

14. contractor078

look i was not advocating that he do this at all. I didnt. i bought the tool to do mine. I was just talking out loud. Maybe i had a few to many cold ones. Been sitting around the house bored to tears with this weather.

really a ball joint press is not made to do that job either so isn't that the same idea. You are not using the tool for the designed intent. Seems the general consensus is that you use the appropriate tool to do the job it was intended for. Not trying to give anyone any bad advice here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

No need to jump down on him guys. I've seen the idea suggested all over the web. Hell I think it was either Truck U or Trucks on TV even showed doing the swap with a C-Clamp.

My biggest thing is spending the money on the tool just to use it 1 or 2 times thats the only reason I was asking.

16. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer probably wouldn't be too expensive, 1hr of labor tops. Took my guy more time to get it on the lift and get the tools out and set than it did to do the swap

17. Philbilly2

is that to far?

18. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I don't think so Phil. Would you be willing to send it or do you have another idea?

19. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Sorry, didn't mean to jump sown his throat. Just don't want to hear about an accident.

20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

This is the best answer yet.