1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Plow Prep Packages

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Do all HD GM trucks come with the plow prep package or not? I was just wondering if this was a standard option. I came upon a 2004 2500HD GMC with a duramax. Pictures and description are below:

http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/cto/876896246.html

I work with this guy and have seen this truck up close before. It is very nice. Just wondering if this would have the plow prep package or not.

Thanks.

Jeremy

2. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Just wanted to be clear on this, I did ask the owner and he did believe that it had that package on it, but was not sure. I guess more of my question is if there is anything specific that you could see that would give away that a plow package was on.

3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I would have to say that it does not have the plow prep. In the dash next to the passenger air bag on/off switch should be a push button switch for a roof beacon which is part of the plow prep package. Also I don't think they offered the plow prep on diesels with ext cab or crew cab. Could also look in the glove box at the production sticker and look for RPO code VYU.

4. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Excellent. Thanks for the detailed reply hammerstein. I do have another question then. Do you know what GM puts in their plow prep package?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow prep package includes...

Upgraded T-bars (dependent on cab configuration)

145 amp alternator

Provisions for a roof mounted light beacon (dash switch and related wiring leads)

Upgraded cooling fan clutch (most important one on the list ;) )

6. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

As well as above plow prep included skid plates.

Different models/years include different items. Some years it also included the G80 but some didn't. Best to lookup your year on Edmunds or a similar site

I don't think the ex cab duramax has the VYU available. Something about exceeding the front axle rating with a plow. I know lots of people put plows on but I don't think the general approves.

7. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

For what it's worth, I have a 2006 extended cab dmax with the plow prep package, so yes they do exist.

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

You can get them in the EC, but not the CC Duramax.

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

plow prep package

I believe I have the plow prep package but mine is only a 130 amp..01 2500 HD..

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Look in the glove box. On a white sticker will be a bunch of 3 letter/number codes. If VYU is listed then yes you have the plow package.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the year of the truck Rich which alternator rating it came with.

12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

My 2008, 3500, regular cab duramax allison has the plow prep as follows. Provision for roof strobes under headliner & light switch on overhead console, skid plates, twin ( 2 ) 125 amp alternators.

13. rick3171

rick3171 Junior Member

can i upgrade my truck with the cooling fan clutch or not. gmc 2500hd diesel

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Sure if you want to pay for it.

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks B B..... You are the Plow Site WIZARD....! ! ! ! !