1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Plow Package - Is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys,

There is a guy that I work with and he is trying to sell me his 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD. It is an extended cab short bed with the 6.0L engine. Over the summer, the guy put on a 8.2 Boss V and also added Timbrens to the front suspension. He informed me that the truck does not have the factory plow package on it. He said the sticker also said it has a 4670 front axle weight rating.

He was planning on plowing this year for a couple relatives that have business', but his wife just recently passed away and now he wants to sell the truck and not plow anymore. He asked me if I wanted to buy it cause he knows that I also cut lawns on the side and thought I might have people that wanted their snow removed as well.

The truck is in great shape. He put the undercoating on when he bought it at 60,XXX miles and it looks really good underneath. The truck now has 101,000 miles on it and he is asking $21,000 for it cause he said that is what other trucks in our area have been selling for. Plus, he thinks the plow added on quite a bit of value.

I guess my first question is, what would the plow package offer that this truck doesn't currently have. Is it necessary to then put that stuff on the truck if I wanted to buy this and plow with it?

I know he will come down slightly on the price just because I know him, but what would an appropriate offer be to give him? I really like him and he has been through a very hard couple months, so I don't want to offend him.

Thanks.

Jeremy

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Sounds like the price is steep. And there's a reason GM has a plow prep package. You'll need to gusset the upper control arm brackets at a minimum.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Plow prep to my knowledge does not include any gussets or frame modifications, I have order or bought 6 now brand new. Plow prep is the larger axle rating, larger alternator & that's about it. It used to include trans & oil coolers I believe, which are now pretty much standard. Price is way steep, my mother in law is selling my father in laws truck (he past away), a 2003 2500hd ext cab work truck with a never used 8' Fisher, only has 25k miles, just inspected, tires & brakes for 17K. I think she is crazy. It is worth about 10k.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

The plow prep does noting to the front axle weight rating. I have two 2008 2500's. One with a 6.0 and one with a diesel. I hve a wideout and a vplow on them. Neither have plow prep. They are fine. You get the lightbar switch and wiring in the third brake light and a few other nonsense things. The truck will hanle it fine and you don't need to add anything to it.

5. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I know the price is too steep. The reasoning he gave me was that the truck was worth $16,000 (which I also think is a little high) and then $5,000 for the newly added plow. I don't want to go in there and lowball him, but I was thinking that if I could get the whole set up for about $16,000 or $17,000, that it would be a pretty good buy. Am I out of line with that?

Thanks.

Jeremy

6. SullivanSeptic

Yeah, that price is a bit steep for a truck with 100,000 miles. You can buy a nice truck for $21,000. Also, you can crank up the torsion keys to get a stiffer front end while plowing if you want. I never like running timbrens.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That sound like be a better deal depending on the size of the plow if its just a little plow then I say isnt worth alot

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

RPO Code VYU (found on the sticker in the glove compartment)

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes 10-amp power for backup and roof emergency light, (KG3) 145-amp alternator, high-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness, 1.65" (42 mm) access hole with grommet in front of dash panel, roof beacon lamp provisions with switch on the instrument panel, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, (K47) high-capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package

9. SullivanSeptic

So in other words, nothing. The plow prep does nothing

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most important thing is the bigger alternator, which is an easy upgrade anyway.

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I don't have plow prep on my 1500 and it has the 145 amp alternator.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Thats my thoughts on it...

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Plow prep on the gas trucks ups the alternator to 160. The diesels use the 145 I believe

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

RPO Code VYU (found on the sticker in the glove compartment)

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes 10-amp power for backup and roof emergency light, (KG3) 145-amp alternator,high-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness, 1.65" (42 mm) access hole with grommet in front of dash panel, roof beacon lamp provisions with switch on the instrument panel, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, (K47) high-capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package

This stuff is nice, the front bumper allows a clean look after trimming and better airflow for cooling, the access hole is a handy feature (Chevy doesn't have a manual option so you drill an access hole) it breathes better and the skid plates are handy for the unintentional off road adventure. They save a lot of time wiring in lights and they go in with the total "factory look" and the more alternator/battery the better.

Necessity, no, but that and the warranty security make it worth the relatively inexpensive price when buying new.

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Well put sully

16. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Ever see a double alternator on a Duramax

Just picked up a newer used Chev - 2008 2500 HD reg cab, long box and it came from the factory with plow package and with dual 145 amp alternators, first I have ever seen this ?

Anyone else ?

Not complaining as the lights don't dim at all when running the plow....

Al

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Thats an option, not included in plow prep, but 2 people I know have that option... One said its been nothing but a screw up, the other hasnt had a problem at all so who knows if its a good thing or not...

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ford offers (offered?) the duel alternetor opition too I see it most often with as a tow package accessory. My neighbor has a expidention with duel alternators. it's a favorite amoung the big RV set. Some of those campers have a bank of six or more batteries.

19. StratfordPusher

Thanks Chad

Thanks Chad, well time will see on this, sure kicks out the amps and so far I like it...

Thanks Al

20. StratfordPusher

Duals

Pic of the dual set-up on my 2008 Duramax

2008 chev 2500HD-1 duals.jpg