1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Plastic Lug Nut Covers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Moss Man, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

This is an old subject, but I'd like to get this straightend out. I have an 2005 Chevy 3500 SRW 4x4 and it has the steel wheels with the plastic wheel centers. The plastic lug nut covers are mostly stripped.

Should I just get the OEM nuts from GM or are there some better aftermarket ones available? I have heard of stainless replacement ones, but searched the web extensively and didn't find any.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

thats what I was going to tell you, I have bought a few sets off ebay

4. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I found these, the price is pretty attractive. I like the stock centers I have though, so I'll keep looking for just the nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0309916298&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The link you posted, the seller seems to only have sets for the 6 lug wheels.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

biggest problem is most all lazy a$$ tire guys install them with a gun.

thats a BIG no no thats what messes them up

i always installed by hand. :nod:

6. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Just for poops and giggles I stopped at the GM dealership this afternoon and they want $110. for a set of 32 OEM. Not acceptable.

7. sweetk30

ebay

junk yard

craigslist

NOT the dealer.

8. creative cuts

creative cuts Junior Member
    from indiana

i got a whole set from the junkyard, i bought an ashtray for $10 bucks and he gave me the nut covers for free. Or you could just wrap the threads with plumbers tape until its real tight it will hold

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Or a dab of silicone

10. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I pulled the trigger on these and if I bring the truck anywhere where the wheels need to be removed for whatever reason, I will take the centers off myself before I leave for the garage and put them back on when I get home. It's too bad it has to be that way, but there are too many impact wrench happy people out there that just can't take the time to do it right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0309916298&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

11. sweetk30

12. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

13. sweetk30

no problem. Thumbs Up

work smarter not harder :salute:

14. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Sir,

I grabbed a speeder wrench and the 7/8" socket at Sears yesterday, it works perfect on the nut covers. The actual threads on the lug nuts even appear to be slightly stripped where the plastic ones thread on to them, not sure what would cause that. Even with the speeder wrench and new nut covers, it's hard to tell how much to tighten them? Most of them snugged up real well, but a couple of them went past tight to loose and I had to tighten them a little less after that. The design sucks, but I don't have the cash for different wheels and I don't want to leave them off for obvious reasons.

Some of the ones I took off wouldn't tighten at all, they were just flopping along for the ride and rattling and I CAN NOT stand rattles!

Thanx man.

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just put a dab of silicon on the threads and let it sit overnight.

16. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Put the silicone on the threads and wait overnight or put the caps on with the silicone and let the whole deal sit overnight before driving?

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just silicon on the threads of the black plastic lug nut covers. Of course let it sit over night to cure and works like a charm. Been doing that for years on the stripped covers.