1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gm or Chevy 2500 HD or 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well my friend want new gm or chevy truck for plow.

2500 HD or 3500 SRW
    6.0L
    3.73 gear ratio
    snowplow package
    regular cab
    short bed or long bed
    color green
    Want basic like Ford XL

How much they go for? Do they have problem with brakes or transmission or IFS or engine?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

I know you live in detroit but english please

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Well you can't get either combo with a regular cab short bed and the 3500s only come with a long bed. Last I knew the 6.0s only came with 4.10s in the rear to but that might have changed with the body style.

4. Milwaukee

Why can't they put 3.73?

Do they have problem with transmission or IFS?

Do you know what price they sell for those? $35,000 or ??

Would they held by owner's abusive like rev too high like he do with F250 hit 6,000 rpm and 45 mph in reverse.

I be laugh if Chevy 2500HD fail in few years of plow and drive HARD ON IT.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

me uh you what say no the say what?

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That post was as good or better than most members on here.

7. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Milwaukee,

I know your deaf but thats really no excuse, it should not show in your typing.

the 2500HD with 6.0 and 4.10s is a fine truck. I have one with 160,000 ,miles on it. plowed its whole life and the front end and tranny are fine and still all original. I do plan on redoing the front end this summer however but not because it needs it.

If you beat any thing it will eventually fail, I don't think the computer would let you wind the motor out to 6,000RPM

8. Milwaukee

Do they have rpm limiter? Like set to max at 4,000 rpm

I don't beat on truck it owner who do with his F250.

9. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

I was on GM's website and they do not offer green as a color choice. There are a few on Ebay in my area like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009....c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:317|240:1318

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Haven't seen a later model vehicle yet that wasn't rev limited. Just be nice if they were user adjustable. :D

He can rev the 6.0 all he want's, he'll never hurt it.

11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well I guess it is alot better than lawnsite ::nod: didnt mean it to come out that way

12. Milwaukee

To me I don't like it. I would like to have rev limiter so he couldn't kill Chevy early.

Is 6.0L OHV?

Our ford Taurus have rev limiter.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

RPM's wont kill it, they're only set at 5600 RPM anyway and the LS engines laugh at that number...thats what they were originally designed for, RPM's. Lack of maintenance will kill long before RPM's ever will.

Over Head Valve? Haven't seen a domestically produced truck engine that was built in the last 50 years that wasn't. I believe you meant Over Head Cam. Which the LS's are not, thankfully. Simplicity and power at its finest. :nod:

14. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Lack of maintanence will kill anything no matter what it is, but abuse coupled with lack of maintence will lead to major premature failure. You can combat this with an aggressive Prev. Main. schedule. Keep good logs of your equipment and stay on top of everything.

As far as revs OHC's are more apt to taking high revs, than pushrod mills. Rev limiters can easily be adjusted by either getting a programmer or tossing your rig on a dyno. I have a built mustang that went from 5000 limit to 6300 after dyno tuning, as the cam I'm running continually makes power up to 6000. I don't know much about the Bowtie motors but I do know that Ford's DRAMATICALLLLLLLLY improved when they went with the Overhead Cam motors, much improved head gaskets, oiling,oil sealing,longevitity, and POWER. Though I will strongly say they are much more complex engines to turn wrenches on. I assume these points hold true for you GM and Dodge guys.

Gearing- Gearing can be instrumental in your trucks performance and long life. Lower gears drive your engine into its power band quicker, and the more time an engine spends in its powerband the easier it is for it to perform work. Especially heavy work like plowing. Another plus about getting into that powerband is that it increases RPM's and that in turn spins your trans faster. This allows more fluid to be pumped through the trans keeping it cooler.(Trannys like to be cool.) This is why an aftermarket shift kit and a tranny cooler should also be high on your priority list. The cooler increases your fluid capacity and keeps tem ps down. The shift kit allows for quicker more positive shifts, reducing wear, by opening up ports in your valve body allowing a larger amount of fluid to flow through the trans. This can be somewhat accomplished through programmers or tuning by raising line pressure , though this is not nearly as effective or longevity effective.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats their fault. :D

Right, like I mentioned..power AND simplicity. Oh, and low cost too. :D

16. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Added a bunch of info in the edit.^^^^

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which is the reason (to answer Mills gear question) that the 6.0's are equipped with 4.10 as standard vs 3.73's...they WANT to rev. wesport

18. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Totally agree, I think even the most heavy duty trucks can benefit from a few "forgotten" upgrades the factory can sometimes leave out. Though I think ford hit in bigtime on the head with the F350 if you option it right (Def want the TowCommand Package-Puts in an oversize tranny cooler). Torq-Shift is a MONSTER trans just like the Allison is in the GM's. I would reccomend it for your friend on his new truck.Especially if he pummels it the way you say he does. If the money is avilable just go with the 3500, upgraded axles are always a plus.

And I'm not sure what non Allison Auto's HD GM's use, is it still the 4L80 series? they were also pretty heavy duty but nothing compared to the 1000 series

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  19. Milwaukee

His current truck is 01 F250 v8 5.4L which is DOHC. No wondered it still run with his crazy driving way.

B&B isn't OHC like to be rev or not? Don't want friend buy truck then blew up engine because it wasn't for high rpm.

20. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Any newer motor will take high RPM's but what I'm talking about is like major league high end abuse RPMS. The ford 5.4 (and 4.6 same motor) are both great engines especially known for their long life under hard conditions, also nice that they have a cross bolted cast iron block.